Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 03:55 PM

Luciendar21 is on a distinguished road

Luciendar21 is on a distinguished road
This thread is the first I am hearing of this sort of fraud being pervasive. I'd be much more skeptical buying from a used car dealership where a technician knowing how to roll back odometers could be employees, but I buy most of my vehicles in private sale. I think the chances of being defrauded regarding mileage are fairly slim in a private sale. The only means most private sellers (owners) have to fake the odometer is to replace the gauge cluster with that from a lower mileage vehicle.

I only buy vehicles used, and usually with more than 100k on them, but I still think mileage is an important factor in the decision making process. They big variable is engine wear, where most modern engines are only intended to run to 200k or 300k miles. Sure you might find that some examples are maintained meticulously (oil and factory specified maintenance performed at the correct intervals), but most have the normal oil change every 3-5k, sparkplugs and air filter every 60k or so, and that's it.