View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 08:32 PM

Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice

Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice Cymon is just really nice
Maryland Trip 06/23/16-07/05/16

Over the past 4.5 years we have moved cross-country twice (moving for my wife’s job). Three and a half of those years were in the San Francisco Bay area and the past year we have lived in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. My previous 30 years of life were spent growing up and living in Central Maryland and Baltimore (we still own a house in Federal Hill). So needless to say we spend a lot of our vacations traveling up to Maryland where both my family and my wife’s family still reside.

Over the past year we have driven the 2,300-mile round-trip “adventure” twice and I believe that we have gotten the formula for driving with two young children (16 months and almost 4 years). Drive 18hours straight through the night! On the way North we usually leave at 3:00 in the afternoon. This gives us two 1.5-2 hour stretches before the kids pass out. This is important because as any of you who have traveled with young kids know that is usually close to the limit without needing a break, and any break (no matter how small you think it should be) is usually minimum of an hour. So with this formula we are normally 5 hours into our 18-hour trip by bedtime. Once the kids go to sleep its straight through the night, setting the cruise control between 75-80mph only stopping for gas. My wife and I will alternate until we arrive at the Grandparents between 8:00 and 9:00 am the next morning. At that point we unload the car, pass the kids to the grandparents and go take a nap.

On the way back South we started at 9:00 am and used the same formula (only needing more stops because the kids are awake) and then arriving sometime around 3:00 a.m. to get a couple hours of sleep before the kids wake up (no grandparents to help this time!).

We do this not just to torture ourselves, but honestly stopping half way at a hotel wastes 8 hours of good travel time at night when we don't have to stop for the kids. By the time you unpack transfer the kids (who don't sleep well in hotels) and you get to sleep (which you don't because the kids don't) you're just as tired but now still have a 9 hour drive.

Anyway, here are a couple pics (don’t have that many because I honestly wasn’t planning on doing this thread at the time of the trip). We did take the kids to Dutch Wonderland in Pennsylvania and the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.. It also worked out where we were in the Mid-Atlantic region at the same time an Off-Road 101 course at Rausch creek was being offered (description in the next post).

I have mentioned previously in another post but as you can see I pack like Clark W. Griswold. I’m still amazed at how much crap I can fit in the 4runner with the Skybox up top!

Total Trip Mileage: 3,215
Attached Images
Cymon's Weekend Warrior and MFD Thread-img_4188-jpg  Cymon's Weekend Warrior and MFD Thread-south-boarder-jpg  Cymon's Weekend Warrior and MFD Thread-maryland-trip-mileage-jpg 
2015 SR5 Premium 4wd Magnetic Grey w/3rd row: Frontrunner Slimline II 3/4 Rack - Yakima Skybox 16 - Weathertech - 22" Behind Grill Light Bar - TRD Skid w/Full Aluminum RCI Skids - RCI Sliders - Falken AT3 265 SL - Lamin-X - Taxa Cricket
"If I Can Do it You Can" Light Bar Install
ARB Breather Mod
Cymon's Weekend Warrior/MFD Thread
Cymon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote