View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future

Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future
8. Paint - Once it’s smooth, it’s time to paint the inner surface. I also painted the metal bracket for rust prevention and so it looks consistent, but it’s not really necessary. I used DupliColor Trim and Bumper paint because I’ve found it to be tough and durable in other projects.

9. Attach anchors - There are numerous ways to attach the mesh. I chose an anchor/zip tie method found during online research.

It worked very well, but a few lessons became clear:
1) You don't need anchors all the way around (explained below).
2) Thoroughly wipe down the inside of the grill frame where the anchors are placed, using mineral spirits or something similar, to get a clean surface for the adhesive.
3) Supplement the adhesive on the anchors with Automotive Goop or something similar around the edges (not underneath).
4) Let the adhesive dry thoroughly before you start zip-tying lest you pull the anchors off (see more on that below).

Again, don’t put the Goop over the self-adhesive bottoms of the anchors; stick the anchors on, then go around each anchor’s edges and use a plastic butterknife or something similar to spread it so it goes up onto the anchor and out onto the inner grill frame maybe ¼” from the edges as shown. Then slide the zip ties through with the “buckle” end out.

I first put anchors all around the edges, like this. Do not do this!

Just put the top row of anchors in because the metal grill bracket can anchor the zip ties and/or mesh along most of the sides and all of the bottom.

Now go away. Read a book, watch a movie, take a hike, or best of all, time this step for bedtime and go to sleep. Whatever, but be patient and let the anchors and Goop set for at least a few hours. Otherwise, you'll yank them free when you tighten up the zip ties.

10. Fit and trim mesh - Read all of this step before starting! The Custom Car Grills pre-cut mesh needs minimal trimming and cuts easily with tin snips. First, lay it out and loosely attach it with the upper row of zip ties, keeping in mind that you'll be folding over the edges as explained below. This will affect where you put the zip ties through the top.

I trimmed it off very close along the sides and bottom edge. Do not do this. Leave the side and bottom edges as long as you can so you can fold the overlap down flat against the outer surface of the inside walls. On the bottom, definitely do that and sandwich it under the metal grill bracket like this.

The best way is to cut a slit straight in from the mesh’s edge at each corner, and as needed to allow for obstructions all around. This turns each edge of the mesh into one or more flaps you can fold down around the edges of the grill.

Fortunately, it still worked out for me, I just bent as much of the short edge as I could to get it under the grill frame.

11. Finish attaching mesh & reassemble - Here’s what I mean about the metal bracket serving as the anchor for zip ties. Install them every few inches as needed and be sure to put one as close to each corner as possible. You may not need many, or any, here if you left the mesh "flaps" long and folded down the overlap. Same for the bottom you won't need ties if you did the foldover thing and the bracket secures the mesh.

Pull the zip ties tight enough so the mesh is solid, then stop. Overtightening anything is never good, and here it can mess up the mesh or pull anchors free.

Reinstall the bracket and the oddly-shaped little plastic piece on each side.

12.A. Add emblem & reinstall - Again there are numerous options; I chose to use some nylon spacers and small screws so I could realign it if it was off-center or remove it if it needs repainting someday. The big takeaway is measuring and remeasuring to mark dead center on the grill before attaching your emblem. Use a small piece of painter's tape or whatever else works. Matt at customcargrills.com has a very helpful video about this.

Remove the painter's tape and behold the finished product:

12.B. Install your new deep Satoshi grill, take a pic to post on the forum, then crack open a cold one and toast a tough mod well done.

Last edited by Bluesky 07; 10-15-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Bluesky 07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote