Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 11:01 AM

amalik is on a distinguished road

amalik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by B33R_Runner View Post
Actually, much better than that: 10.92% annualized return (noted on the right side of the image). Remember, the $180,000 was invested monthly over the entire 10-yr period, not a big chunk at the beginning.

Conversely, here's another 10-yr hypothetical with the same fund; this time it starts on 1/1/1999 and ends on 1/1/2009. Quite the difference. The $180,000 turns into ~$155,000. Ouch. Sometimes timing sucks.

Very interesting. Thanks for the data points. Is this tool accessible by anyone?

I bet if they left it alone a few more years... they'd be OK but... imagine on that day in 2009 you are 65 and need to retire.

I guess that is why we heard of stories in 2008 and such about people 'pushing out' retirement another 5 years for example.

Probably trying to wait for the losses to swing positive.

On the flip side, it would be interesting to see a few 30 year runs, if you can do one for me. I assume that's how long most people do a 401k or Roth.

You aren't totally wasting your time. I may end up considering a 401k after this :P

Last edited by amalik; 10-05-2016 at 11:08 AM.
amalik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote