Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 12:25 PM

fernie is on a distinguished road

fernie is on a distinguished road
How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS

Thought I'd give back what I can, and document my experience installing rock sliders on a 4Runner equipped with KDSS.

My wrenching experience is limited to oil changes. So the thought of destroying KDSS lines crossed my mind several times. However, if you take your time you can get through this as I did. After driving around with only the passenger slider slider on the truck for a few weeks, I decided I needed to figure this out!

Only documenting the drivers side, as the KDSS lines run down this side of the frame.

Tip for the passenger side - bolt the slider to just one of the holes on the top right corner first when attaching the slider. Next, bolt or thread just one of the holes on the top left corner. Doing this will allow the slider to pivot up more easily so you can align all of the holes on the slider to the frame.

Tools Needed:
  • jack (multiple are helpful)
  • jack stands or blocks or whatever
  • impact wrench (optional but helpful for removing bolts)
  • 12mm socket (1/2 and 3/8 inch came in handy)
  • 13mm socket (1/2 and 3/8 inch came in handy)
  • socket extensions
  • 13mm wrench with swivel or flex ratcheting
  • torque wrench
  • anti-seize
  • wood shims
  • hack saw

Parts Needed:
  • a 4Runner
  • rock sliders (C4 are used in this example)

1. Let's get started -
How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS-1_img_0760-jpg

2. Closeup of items needed -
How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS-2_img_0761-jpg

3. Using a 12mm socket, remove the drivers side parking brake fastener - (push the brake line up and out of the way)

Also, remove the bolts for each of the two KDSS brackets.

How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS-3_img_0762-jpg

4. Remove the three 12mm bolts holding the gas tank skid only in this picture. Do not remove the 3rd bolt in from the left. This is for the fuel tank strap. Leave it alone.
We don't need to remove the gas tank skid completely. It just has to drop down far enough so that we can get the slider in between the frame and the gas tank skid.

Not pictured, but you will also need to remove two more 12mm gas tank skid bolts towards the rear of the 4Runner. After removing these the gas tank skid will hang down low enough to get the slider in. I used the socket extensions to remove these two additional bolts.
How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS-4_img_0763-jpg

5. Another picture of the fuel tank strap bolt. Leave this one alone.
How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS-5_img_0764-jpg

6. Remove the two 12mm bolts holding the small KDSS skid plate.
How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS-6_img_0765-jpg

7. Another angle of the small KDSS skid plate.
How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS-7_img_0766-jpg

8. KDSS lines now exposed with the skid removed.
How to: Install Rock Sliders with KDSS-8_img_0767-jpg
2015 4R Trail w/KDSS - 3D Maxpider Kagu Floormats - EliteSport+ Seat Covers - 4th Gen Cargo Net - Philips 921 Reverse Lights - Rigid D2 Driving Amber fogs - H11 HID Philips 4300k low beams - C4 Fab Rock Sliders - Dobinsons C59-724 / C59-599 - Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/70/17 - Spidertrax 1.25" spacers

Last edited by fernie; 11-18-2016 at 09:40 PM.
fernie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote