Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 10:21 PM

(none) is on a distinguished road

(none) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradh View Post
I'm not sure if this thread will be active a couple years later, but I just traded my 04 Highlander for a 13 SR5 4Runner Premium (3rd row was the main consideration, but other extras were nice). When I bought it, the dash said 18.5 avg mpg, which was right in line with 18-19 mpg I was expecting (I knew I wouldn't be seeing the 20-22 mpg I had averaged in the Highlander, but I traded up to a 4Runner for obvious reasons). I've had it for 2 weeks and filled up before and after Thanksgiving highway travel. My mpg calculation for an almost exclusively highway trip was around 16.5. I reset the dash, and it's currently reading 15.5 avg mpg with a combination of local city and highway commuting. These low mpg numbers have me worried. I'm still within the limited warranty window; is there anything I should have checked out? Oil was changed with 0W-20 at the dealer. It's running Bridgestones, although I'm not sure what model or pressure. I'll be checking that out. Does winter gas typically become an issue in November (I'm in Missouri)?

My Highlander and Corolla have always been near sticker numbers within a couple mpg, and discrepancies have been easy to identify based on a low tire, oil change, driving conditions. It seems like something more significant should be making the 3 mpg difference than tire pressure, or at least I'm concerned that it could be an engine or transmission issue. I'd be comfortable with getting 15 city / 20 hwy, but it's looking more like 13/16. This seems like a drastic difference that's leading to a little buyer's remorse on a vehicle I've been looking forward to loving!

First, don't trust that on board computer. You'll have to do the tried and true method of miles traveled divided by gallons of fuel used. This will give you a true depiction of your MPG.

That being said, it's all about how you drive. It's hard to get good mpg readings and super easy to get low readings.

Are you the only one who drives it? you may baby it, but someone else probably drives it without the fuel economy in mind.

Do you start it up and let it warm up/defrost windows? That's not going to help your fuel econ at all.

When you do get going are you in the city or straight to a and b roads? What speeds do you maintain? These things take a while to warm up when just idled around, mine ran for nearly 20 minutes as i traveled a few miles, and the coolant temp never went above 170F. Not being up to temps reduces efficiency, once i was moving at a steady pace with the motor under load, then the temp rose to the 186-188F.

Check those tires for the stock size. Larger tires reduce fuel econ, but they also change rate at which your speedometer/odometer are working. It will show less miles traveled, thus reducing that fuel economy. Also make sure they are properly inflated. You can also have your alignment checked, tires scrubbing will reduce fuel economy.

How many miles are on it? Have you checked the engine air filter?

So many things can effect fuel economy. I will say I've managed an honest 21mpg on mine (all highway, warm car which never cooled down/never turned off, cruise at 70-74mph), but usually average around 17-18 with mixed b-road and city driving.