Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 01:38 AM

jondoe1482 is on a distinguished road

jondoe1482 is on a distinguished road
Rear Sliding Cargo Deck Mod, Modular Bin and Cooler System

Finally made the mod to my rear sliding cargo deck to allow easy tie down of bins and cooler. The system is modular, unlike a drawer system, and very lightweight, inexpensive, and functional.

I drilled and bolted cargo track into the rear deck, which allows securing of a 70 qt cooler, 2 - 15 gallon sterilite bins, and some extra free space all on the sliding deck, which can then be pulled out, like a drawer, without anything falling in the opening behind the deck.

I bought Airline track from uscargocontrol.com
3 - 24" pieces in black AT24BL
1 - 48" piece in black AT48BL
3 - ATFASTPACK Stud Fitting Track Fastener 10 pack for securing the track to the deck
8 - 1529-DS Double Stud Fitting 5k B.S. - These fit in the track and allow tie down with straps or hooks

I had to cut one of the long pieces with the dremel (fairly easy) to fit across the back of the deck.
I laid down the long piece across the width of the back of the deck, and the 3 short pieces oriented length wise. 2 of the short ones are spaced just enough to fit the width of my cooler (or most coolers that size). This allows bins or other wider items to fit on the other side.

I kind of wish I had put the narrow side on the other side of the deck now, to allow the cooler drain spout to face the outside and allow the cooler lid to open laterally. Just something to consider.

Lay the track and mark the drill holes. Feel the underside of the deck to make sure you don't drill through something important. I drilled right through the Canvasback cover, carpet and deck easily. It is a kind of foam core, so little white bits end up everywhere. I just used washers and bolts on the underside to hold it in. I think there are enough bolts that it feels pretty sturdy, despite not super strong material in the deck. I lined the track up fairly close to the edge of the deck, but not too close to hopefully give more strength.

I use these Sterilite Bins:
https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-146.../dp/B00KL7VM7W
Only $10/ea. Decently sturdy. Can stack 2 high in back of runner. Can fit up to 10 bins in back of 4Runner if back seats are folded down. I generally set up with 6 bins, a 70 qt cooler, and a dog. These are also just low-profile enough to strap down on the gobi roof rack as well if you need more space inside, and will be fairly weatherproof up top.

I use the Coleman Xtreme Marine 70 qt. Holds ice almost as good as a Yeti for about 1/7th of the price. Obviously, it won't outlast a Yeti, but I bet 5 of them will:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/34105098?...&wl13=&veh=sem

I use NRS Straps for tie downs.
2 - 4" Red straps tied to cooler handles to allow opening the lid without strap removal.
1 - 7-8 ft strap around the body of the cooler to prevent accidental opening when on the move.
3 - 6' loop straps for tie downs
2 - 9' loop straps for tie downs.

The problem I haven't figured out is: How to tie down items over the rear seats when they're folded down. There are two stock tie downs there, but they are in an awkward location to be functional. I'm thinking a cargo net is needed. Any ideas? The goal is to not have items overlap the gap when the crago tray is pulled out.
Attached Images
Mod Rear Sliding Cargo Area-bin-storage-1-14-jpg  Mod Rear Sliding Cargo Area-bin-storage-1-19-jpg  Mod Rear Sliding Cargo Area-bin-storage-2-14-jpg  Mod Rear Sliding Cargo Area-bin-storage-3-14-jpg  Mod Rear Sliding Cargo Area-bin-storage-4-14-jpg  Mod Rear Sliding Cargo Area-bin-storage-4-19-jpg  Mod Rear Sliding Cargo Area-bin-storage-5-14-jpg  Mod Rear Sliding Cargo Area-bin-storage-6-14-jpg 
jondoe1482 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote