Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 PM

nglayton is just really nice nglayton is just really nice nglayton is just really nice nglayton is just really nice

nglayton is just really nice nglayton is just really nice nglayton is just really nice nglayton is just really nice
Exclamation Tie Downs

Next on my list was to improve the cargo tie down situation. Basically it sucks in the back of this rig. (until now!)

I didn't like any of the D-ring options available at Lowes so I just ordered the OEM version. These are getting mounted in 2 places.

First place is the almost useless hooks.

I took the hook off, but the footprint is so huge the new D-ring exposes a hole in the head liner, so I just ripped off the cover and mounted them both together.

I don't know about you, but these are completely useless, I've never been able to successfully tie or hook anything to them, so I decided they needed to go.

I set out to figure out how to remove them. Turns out you can just pull them straight out with almost zero effort. It was so easy I'm surprised that I hadn't pulled them loose already. Just a pair of pliers and they yanked right out.

Inside is just an M6 Phillips head screw. I wanted to use this as my mount point. It's recessed in about 3/4". It holds the trim to the inside of the body.

The OEM screw in't long enough to mount the new D-rings, so I got some about 1/2" longer. You could get longer ones if you wanted, there nothing behind there except about another inch of open space. I had these already left over from another project so I just used them.

Then I found some 5/8" diameter bushing spacers 3/"4 inch long. I wanted the bushing/spacers so that I didn't crush the plastic trim when I tightened down the new bolts and the D-ring.

I put one washer behind the D-ring and one in front and tightened them all down. Repeated the whole process on the other side of the truck and I'm good to go.

Now I've got plenty of tie down options all over the back.

Edit: I guess I was wrong, I added more....

Last edited by nglayton; 05-27-2018 at 11:02 AM.
nglayton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote