View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 04:56 PM

Gen4SR5 is on a distinguished road

Gen4SR5 is on a distinguished road
Falken Wildpeak AT3W: initial impressions

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my initial impressions with my new Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws.

I've been researching what tires to get for nearly a month and I narrowed it down to Firestone ATs, Cooper Discoverer AT3s/ATPs and these. The BFG KO2s are a little more than what I wanted to spend and I heard they lose wet grip traction as they age.

I finally settled on the Firestones because of their good tire wear, good traction in wet roads and the enormous backing from many sites, but my local tire shop had them priced at $740 for the full set OTD. They had a sale on the Falkens and I was able to get all 4 for $600 OTD including mount and balance. I am so happy I did!

Tread pattern: 9/10 these are very aggressive looking tires. Not as aggressive as the KO2s but something I really like. They definitely transformed the look of the 4Runner even with stock sizes.

Road noise: 10/10 the tires are quiet for ATs. I was running standard comfort SUV tires before this and the cabin noise is exactly the same. Something I was shocked about!

MPG: 10/10 so I've had these for 1000 miles and noticed no change at all in my MPG, something I was worried about also since the AT3Ws are pretty heavy.

Handing: 9/10 IMO due to the extra weight of the tires I feel that the 4Runner is more planted and I feel less sway when making turns. I've driven mostly on pavement and these are have done really well. I don't get any bump steer at all, something that I was experiencing with my old tires. I haven't driven with these in rain or snow, but based on other reviews they handle superbly and I'm excited to give them a try out when I move to northern cali later this year. On a back dirt/gravel road near my house they handle like they would in concrete.

All in all extremely happy with these! I'll definitely update as I drive more on them.
Attached Images
Falken Wildpeak AT3W: initial impressions-img_0559-jpg  Falken Wildpeak AT3W: initial impressions-img_0561-jpg  Falken Wildpeak AT3W: initial impressions-img_0562-jpg  Falken Wildpeak AT3W: initial impressions-img_0565-jpg 

Last edited by Gen4SR5; 06-05-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Gen4SR5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote