View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 PM

jakerunner is on a distinguished road

jakerunner is on a distinguished road
DIY "Gobi Style" Roof Rack Build

After months of wanting a Gobi Stealth Rack for my 5th gen, but without the cash for one, I finally pulled the trigger...and built one.

Gobi is kind enough to provide specs on the material their rack is made of on the product page (16 gauge, 1 inch steel tubing) and the length, width, and height. This gave me a good starting point.

I drew it up in Fusion 360 just for kicks, and 3D printed a little model to get a look at it.
DIY "Gobi Style" Roof Rack Build-img_8661-jpg
DIY "Gobi Style" Roof Rack Build-img_2228-jpg

I bought 8 20' lengths of tubing, a sheet of 3/4" expanded metal, and some 6x6x1/4" plates. Also picked up some pre-punched weld tabs for misc mounting points. Total about $180

As for tools, I decided to pick up a pipe notcher from harbor freight ($50). Rather than buy an expensive bending tool, I made my own wooden bending jigs ($10), and they ended up working just as planned. These were mounted on a sheet of plywood and moved around, and I hand bent each piece around them. It gave me a good result for the simplicity, with very little flattening and no kinking issues.DIY "Gobi Style" Roof Rack Build-img_6296-2-jpg

I had access to a wire welder (much needed when working with the relatively thin tubing)

After getting everything cut, bent, and notched, I tacked it together to make sure everything fit and that I liked how it looked. The hardest part was the feet that connect the rack to the mounting points on the car. It took a lot of trial and error to get the mounting holes to line up.
Once I was sure everything was going to fit, I finished welding and cleaned it up with some grinding.
Planning on a coat of primer, followed by some some spray-on black truck bed liner.
Until that's done, lots of pictures!
Cheers
Attached Images
DIY "Gobi Style" Roof Rack Build-img_1784-2-jpg  DIY "Gobi Style" Roof Rack Build-img_7176-jpg  DIY "Gobi Style" Roof Rack Build-img_7012-2-jpg  DIY "Gobi Style" Roof Rack Build-img_5720-jpg 
jakerunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote