View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 PM

TheAdventurousMind is on a distinguished road

TheAdventurousMind is on a distinguished road
Arizona Trip Report/Vlogs - Lake Pleasant to Sedona

DAY 1: BACK WAY TO CROWN KING

The 3 part Vlog is up on YouTube

Going through one of the hottest weeks of the year, myself and a few others thought it would be best is we left our Southern California homes for the cool 117* Arizona air for a nice Overland trip with friends. It was Friday morning and we decided to get an early start and take the day off work. Most of this day would be driving, just to get to Lake Pleasant, which lies just north of Phoenix.

Being packed up the night before, it was a few last-minute things to load before heading off at 7:30a. The first stop was to meet with Dave (IG: @Highground _Overland) out near Joshua Tree before making the long trek through the desert, avoiding I-10’s weekend traffic and construction.* We made it passed the Arizona border before finding the one shady spot in a dried-up riverbed to enjoy our lunch.* After some quick sandwiches, we were on the road with minimal stops, to meet up with the group.* As we were making this trek, Jillian (IG: @JillianRebekah) and Bryan (IG: @Bfilk) left their Southern California home, to meet us at that night’s camp site.

Dave and I pull up to the road to Lake Pleasant and air down once the tires touched dirt. A few miles up, which was enough time for Dave and I to discuss our wild Donkey encounters, we pull up to the rest of the group.* The first thing I see is Brett and Liz (IG: @OurOverlandLife) working on a Tundra that looked a different color, and more modified, than our previous trip to the Eastern Sierras. They share the story about shopping online for bumpers and came across one. This one happened to be attached to a Supercharged Double Cab with sliders, bumpers, winch and Suspension; everything they wanted for their previous Tundra.

With the group aired down, we were all ready to beat the heat and get to higher elevations. This was the start to a trail known as Backway to Crown King. Prior to this trip, I was telling Brett that I haven’t really explored Arizona and that we would have to meet up so I can see what it had to offer. Brett being one for an adventure anytime, he organized the trip to show us California folks that Arizona wasn’t just full of rocks and cacti.

The first “obstacle” of the trail was 3 guys that decided to try to Tokyo-Drift their Chevy Colorado. I am going to assume that it didn’t go according to plan, as they ended up the side of a berm. With some quick action, The tundra backed up to their bumper, hooked to a tow strap and pulled them back down from the berm. Afterwards, they were reminded of the dangers and how lucky they were that they didn’t go over. You could see their tread marks where they came across a hill a bit too fast and started to fish tale, lifted and spun up the hill. They could have just as easily rolled.

Finally, we got on our way and went up in to the hills. This trail has quite a few obstacles with the optional bypasses. Knowing I didn’t have sliders, and didn’t want any doors caved in, I picked my obstacles wisely. Yes, we travel to see new things and camp in remote places, but there is a thrill of accomplishment when you navigate your vehicle over some of these areas. Knowing I had good spotters that I trust, I wanted to tackle some. My 4runner did great until one obstacle where I thought I engaged A-Trac, but clearly did not by the amount of dust flying in the air. I was getting ahead of myself and didn’t think to take a breath and make sure A-Trac was engaged. After taking the bypass, along with buckets of sand inside my car, I was reminded. The Aftermath

Due to fading sunlight, we knew we had to push on through the trail and take the bypasses to make up time.* Usually when you say that, some bad luck happens… Jeep problems. Liz was mentioning that a previous gremlin with her Jeep, “Lana” started to come back and was losing power.* After a couple of stops, they figured out that there was a bad PCV valve.* Knowing that we couldn’t abandon the Jeep there overnight, they made a trail fix decision to pull it off and let the vacuum line pull in air. Knowing we were passing through Prescott the next morning, Liz led the pack to avoid the risk of dust getting sucked in.

The sun began to set and the valleys started to glow as we looked down from up on the ridge.* Most importantly, the weather decided to cool off as we gained these higher elevations.* Light bars light up the sky as we made way in to the dark, pulling up on a busy camp spot as we came upon Senators Highway.* Making the turn on to Senator Highway, we drove the final hour getting to our camp spot for the night.* As we arrive, we tried to scout out some clearings to fit the 9 rigs.* Debating whether one clearing was big enough, Dave gets a phone call from Jillian who was set up just a few hundred feet down in a wide open clearing.* After about 9 hours of moving time, I was ready to set up my tent, enjoy a few drinks and stories of the day as we prepare for day 2 towards Flagstaff!

Follow My Adventures
TheAdventurousMind.com | IG: @The.Adventurous.Mind | YouTube
TheAdventurousMind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote