Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 PM

TheAdventurousMind is on a distinguished road

TheAdventurousMind is on a distinguished road
DAY 2: UP TO FLAGSTAFF

After a hearty breakfast cooked by “Camp Dad” Jeremy (IG: @SeanRubiconnery), we slowly picked up and made our way down to Prescott on Senator Highway. Hitting pavement again near town, we took a few minutes to air back up and plan who was going where. We split off in to 3 group and would meet back at a Chevron in town to fuel up and make some Jeep repairs as we prepare for day 2!

One group split off to get a new PCV Valve and hose, another to a welding supply store for more CO2 and then the last went straight to the gas station. We took over the parking lot in back like it was a Overland car show; made the repairs to the Jeep, refueled and those with coolers replenished their ice. There is a trail from Prescott to Jerome that was a nice dirt bypass, but due to leaving camp that morning a bit later than anticipated, we decided it was best to hit highway to Jerome and eat lunch there.

Jerome was an artsy town that would be great to spend the afternoon walking around, checking out shops and getting some delicious food. As we were leaving, I smelled amazing BBQ that I’d love to go back for! With miles of dirt ahead of us, our pack ventured on and aired back down just after passing the nearby ghost town out side Jerome.

It was hot again at this lower elevation, but the views that we had made up for it. Brett couldn’t help but call this “the spot” for the group shot, and I strongly agree. These hilltop views didn’t last much longer as we slowly dropped down in to trees with open fields of green. This was a surprise to me as my original expectations of Arizona was desert surroundings. We found a great field that we decided to take a break and stretch. During this time, we had the pleasure of a training session with “Tactical Dave” on what to do if you encounter a threat, while wearing something fantastic. Very informative as you can see

After more laughs and smiles than I was prepared for, we decided to keep moving, which was a good decision due to what was waiting for us up ahead. Dust, lots and lots of dust. These were normally fast forest roads, but when you combine that with 9 vehicles and dirt/silty roads, visibility gets impaired. We had to take many sections a lot slower, sometimes even to a complete stop until the dust settled.

With the long day of driving, many of us were on edge and just ready to camp. Brett is one to say, “Never stop at the first camp site” and we were glad that he stood by his motto. Pulling up from our last silty road, we were blessed with an amazing view overlooking Sedona from up in the mountains above. I would classify this as one of my top camp sites.

Unfortunately for me, my night made a slight turn. There was a rock look out that was in the shape of a chimney. The view looked great, but I knew it would be better from over there. Nicole (IG: @nmehaffey) and Mary (IG: @mariika.mariika) were both out there telling me which way they went, in this small hole between a bush and a rock. I didn’t see where they were suggesting and decided to go up and over the rock. Jumping down from there, I knew instantly that I hurt my right foot. To be fair, they asked me not to jump and that I cant hurt my driving foot. Lesson learned after I jumped and hurt my driving foot! In the end, I hobbled out and was able to enjoy one of the best views of my life, and my foot ended up being sprained.

Climbing back up to our camp, I pulled out a chair and enjoyed some drinks and good company on our last night of the journey, trying to keep off my foot. I was worried that my last day in to Sedona would be cut short because of my foot and having to drive about 500 miles home.

That view though... yes please! -B- (Additional Photo by @OurOverlandLife)

Just a little more night time epicness from a time so long ago! Jillian and Dave throwing camp out in the best kind of way! -B- (Additional Photo by @OurOverlandLife)

Follow My Adventures
TheAdventurousMind.com | IG: @The.Adventurous.Mind | YouTube
TheAdventurousMind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote