View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:16 PM

TheAdventurousMind is on a distinguished road

TheAdventurousMind is on a distinguished road
DAY 3: DOWN TO SEDONA

[video=youtube;SK7It8Hr58g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK7It8Hr58g[/video]

I woke up to the sound of rain bouncing off my tent, thinking how happy I was that I kept my rainfly on my Tepui. As I started to get up to look out the window, I was quickly reminded how bad my foot was hurting. I examined my foot and noticed it was swollen, but not bruised. I was happy about that and made sure to put on a taller hiking boot if I wanted a chance at being able to drive. I was looking forward to driving Broken Arrow Trail, as that’s been one on my bucket list and I would have been sad if I couldn’t run it with my friends that day.

Climbing up a ladder on the back of your 4Runner, while trying to put away a roof top tent when its hard to walk, is quite the challenge. With my boots, filled with Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and way more caffeine then any one man should consume, I was ready to attempt the drive! I knew right away, when I started to drive, whether I would be able to continue with the group or not. Luckily, the pressing and rotating from gas to brake felt ok and I was excited that I would be able to make it. We cut back through the Coconino National Forest, back to the highway, where we were able to enjoy the shaded drive of beautiful Oak Creek Canyon.

I was enjoying the drive with the trees shadowing the highway, until we were reminded of the conditions of where we were going. The trees thinned out, the temperature was rising and we started seeing backed up cars for people wanting to cool off at Slide Rock State Park. I remember going there when I was little, but looking at it that day, I wanted nothing more than to keep driving to avoid crowds like that.

Sedona was our next stop where we fueled back up and said goodbye to John (IG: @AZCodeMonkey), who had to depart early. We made sure to pick up a patch to remember our trip through Arizona before heading down to Broken Arrow Trail. As much as I wanted to circle the roundabouts multiple time, I assumed the rest of the group wanted to keep a move on.

Our first area, just off trail, was a nice gap we could all flex our rigs and get some pictures. What surprised me was how capable Bryans stock FJ Cruiser was able to handle, not only the gap, but the entire trail. They only thing he has aftermarket was Falken tires and Demello Offroad sliders. Not one tire came off the ground as he crossed, unlike my 3-wheeling 5th Gen 4Runner that really needs quick disconnects for the sway bar.

We continued on, passing Pink Jeep after Pink Jeep. Another quick obstacle was heading up to Submarine Rock. This was not, unfortunately, a petrified submarine, but was a great spot for us to take a group photo. We laugh because of how well we all got along and enjoyed our time together, and most of us have only been together for 2 weekend trips. Most of us met on our Eastern Sierras trip.

After enjoying some time out of the vehicles to enjoy some of the look out points, we went one by one down the trail before approaching the final obstacle of Broken Arrow Trail, Devil’s Staircase. From my past desert racing days, I imagined flying down those as the travel soaked it up. I then remembered that my 2” Fox coil overs and blown Bilstein 5100’s in the rear would not appreciate that. Slow and steady down the staircase kept my teeth from rattling.* No scraping for me, but I cant say that about some of the others. As I got out to take photos and video, you hear exactly why the devil owns these stairs.

As the vehicles all made it down, and the Pink Jeeps approaching, we continued back on to the main parking area at the trailhead for some much needed lunch and to say our goodbyes to the group. Jillian, Bryan and myself had some long miles before getting back home to California. The other half of the group decided to do one more trail before heading back home themselves.

After saying our goodbyes, it was quickly followed with “When is the next one?”. Luckily I will be seeing some of them at the “Fuel the Vets” event at Toyota of Huntington Beach

Follow My Adventures
TheAdventurousMind.com | IG: @The.Adventurous.Mind | YouTube
TheAdventurousMind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote