View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 AM

blackoutt has a spectacular aura about blackoutt has a spectacular aura about

blackoutt has a spectacular aura about blackoutt has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutt View Post
Stock rack with tred pros mounted with rok straps, neoprene wrapped the crossbars to dampen any rubbing/sound.

2 1.75gal rotopax on locking mounts, home made aluminum bracket mounts to underside of Yamika mighty mounts for a low profile mount.

60" hi lift mounted straight through the stock cross bars. I can confirm that they do in fact have aluminum structural supports inside of them.

Thoroughly tested this setup on a 2 week trip to tour the northeastern states. It was fine on the interstate but on big hits the rotopax mount would flex and hit the roof under the weight of the full fuel cans. Then on the logging roads in Maine the stock roof rack shook apart, there appeared to be rubber washers that crumbled with age on the bolts that attach the crossbars to their sliding end mounts. Once tightened they worked their way loose again, I'm guessing that they just vibrated pockets into the crossbar. By the end of the trip everything was rattling and shaking around up there. Sure I could try to fix it but at this point I think I'm going to full rack route for more usefulness anyway. It almost served it's purpose though! 4 gallons of fuel, treds, and hi lift is just too much weight for trail running on a stock rack.
blackoutt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote