Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Oil Catch Can
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 02:58 AM

USA591 is on a distinguished road

USA591 is on a distinguished road
Oil Catch Can

FWIW, I'm a Liberty CRD (turbo diesel) owner who runs a Pro Vent (catch can system) on my rig.

Why? Because the CCV tube is routed straight back into the intake side of the turbo--this causes all that oily mist leaving the crank case to be sent back through the turbo, into the intake manifold where it gunks up said manifold and specifically the MAP sensor on this engine. When I bought my (used) rig and pulled the sensor after 46K previous miles, it looked like someone dipped it in tar. Yuk.

The Pro Vent routes these gases into a condenser element where it can be drained with a petcock valve and the scrubbed gases can be sent back through the engine to keep our LA air nice and oxide-of-nitrogen free.

Does it work? Hell yeah--I pulled my MAP sensor a few weeks ago after 50K miles and it was clean and dry.

A diesel is a high compression engine so we have lots of blow-by compared to a gasser, but I'm curious--why not run this system on any internal combustion engine and keep your intake manifold sparkly clean? There's gotta be some blow-by to worry about...right?

PS...why am I stalking this forum? 'Cause a T4R is in my future!
USA591 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote