Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Volvo XC90
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Elite Member

BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
Elite Member

BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold BlackWorksInc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Does BSM, PCS, VSC, etc make it safer for a person to drive a car? That’s the question at hand, isn’t it?

Get in a car with an old fart...and see if they are good at driving.

There are bad drivers any decade of human existence since there were cars roaming the streets. The “nannies” have made things much safer on the road...period.

Not sure what examples you can list? Your other sister?

I can only show the facts.
That's been the entire point by me and a couple others, BSM does not make a driver safer because it relies on the driver to know how to set their mirrors and check their blindspots (because that's all BSM does is let the driver know they should do what they should be trained to do). The fact that bad drivers exist is nothing new, the increase of bad drivers is a result of newer technology enabling them and a lack of proper education and common sense. This is nothing new, it's been a downward spiral for not just driver education, but US education, and other aspects. It's a continued example of our society shirking self-responsibility and pointing the blame else where, reactionary instead of proactive and more fundamentally responsible.

VSC is a double-edged sword and on that one I am more conflicted. It's got it's benefits, but it's extremely finicky and dangerous in icy and very slippery conditions. Unfortunately you can't actually 100% disable it in most vehicles, so that's where I get rubbed the wrong way with it. But it does help the majority of people out. But in the majority of conditions it does it's job well and helps lesser driver's maintain control (but it should not be a replacement for learning how to properly control your vehicle.)

PCS is a good "damage reducing" system for reducing the probability of fatalities, can't argue with that. My only concern is how very... difficult it is to verify the calibration on the system once it's done. You can't hook up a scantool and go "yup your PCS is off, it's gonna engage too late or too early". That's just because of how the system is in the vehicle. I'd still have it on my vehicle though if I could.

VSC & PCS have a greater likelyhood to prevent an accident and a fatality than BSM ever will because they are more active in pushing the human error factor out of the way and taking control. If BSM forced a vehicle to stay in it's lane when something was in their blindspot, it'd be an inherently safer system because of it (though it'd be a more intrusive system and I'd be less likely to support it, but at least it has a 100% off switch).

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 08-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote