Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 09:39 PM

Mixonjosh is on a distinguished road

Mixonjosh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrovert View Post
Hi everybody,

I have a 1998 4Runner that recently won't start.

There's a red light on the instrument panel, right next to the Instrument panel light control knob, that won't stop flashing. (it's never lit before) According to the manual, that light is where the rear differential lock switch is supposed to be. Whether the key is in the ignition or not, the red light keeps blinking.

When I open any door, the tail lights and the front side lights switch on and off 15 times in a row, and then turn off... but that red light on the instrument panel continues to blink unless I disconnect the battery terminals.

Since the battery is still providing juice to power the lights, I'm assuming this isn't a battery issue. As far as I know, nobody has ever installed any alarm system on this car. When I try to start the car, it doesn't even sound like it's trying to turn over. It's as if the system is locked somehow. Does anybody have any idea what this red blinking light is telling me?

Thanks!
I know this is an old thread but I need HELP!! I recently just bought a 2000 and mine does the same thing, I found where someone had rigged some wires together behind the kick panel. I followed them around for a minute and the alarm just kept going and going so I just jerked all the damn wires out. Fixed the issue I thought...no more alarm going off when you open the door or anything like that but now the lights just flash on like 3-4 times every 2-3 minutes and the little red theft light on the dash blinks constantly when the door is closed, open the door and it stops and the lights won't flash on and off periodically. I work on cars every day but this damn thing really has me scratching my head.
Mixonjosh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote