Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 08:02 PM

f5000sl is on a distinguished road

f5000sl is on a distinguished road
Wild Peak AT3 265/70-17

I picked up my '07 TR4 in March of 2017.
The tires on the truck were the Dunlap GrandTrek 265/70-17s.
I ran them at stock pressures and saw 16.5-18.5mgs city and 19.5-21 hwy.
(Corrected mileage using GPS and actual fuel used)

I recently installed the same size tires, but went with Falkin WildPeak AT3 SLs.
The garage set them to 42 psi and they sounded good while driving (quiet), but they coned out a little in the center, enough to rub on the front body mounts really easy.

I used the TR4 recommended pressures which really helped with any rubbing, but the truck wonders a little more at hway speeds and tires sound like I'm riding on wet tar.

Fuel mileage is really suffering too.

I'm currently up to 36psi F/R and around town seeing 14-14.5 mpg around town. Corrected, I'm still down about 3mpg.

I'm temped to bump up again, closer to 40 psi and see how that works to help bring up the fuel mileage more.

Side notes:
- Tire weights between the GTs and the WP are equal, obviously the tread is more aggressive on the new tires.

-The WP AT3s seem to always look flat with a huge front to back contact patch and sagging sidewalls; while the GTs never seemed that way even with 5-6 psi less.

- There is definitely an odd disconnect between the speedo and odometer too.
My speedo with the new tires is pretty much dead-on (by 3 different GPS devices until 55 mph, then by an indicated 60mph actual speed is 62-63 and by 70mph, it's closer to 6-7 mph off.

That said, my odometer consistently is off about 7-8% no matter the speed.

Anyone else running AT3's? What PSI are you running?