Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 11:38 PM
Elite Member

gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future
Elite Member

gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future gamefreakgc has a brilliant future
I'm not going to bore you all with nitty gritty details on oil changes, preventative maintenance, etc. I will list the projects I've done and if there was any major repairs I'll have a bit more info on how I did it.

Upon receiving the vehicle I did the following maintenance:
  • Oil change x2 (oil was sludgey)
  • Transmission fluid drain and fill
  • Coolant change
  • New shocks/strus, KYB Gas-a-Just, with new OEM height springs
  • New bushings all around
  • LBJ's replaced
  • New fuel filter
  • Regular maintenance items (spark plugs, gaskets, etc)
  • New Supercharger nose cone assembly
  • New Tundra brakes with all OEM parts

The vehicle had been neglected but not too far that I couldn't bring it back. Now that we have the boring stuff out of the way, let's get to the good stuff!

One of the first things I added was a cheap-o catch can. I noticed after replacing my PCV valve and hose that there was a lot of oil in there, or so I thought. I checked it after my first oil change, it was sort of a latte color. Figured there was some oil in there, so emptied it and put it back in. Second oil change, an even lighter latte color (I also switched to synthetic oil). Then I realized, all it was doing was trapping water vapor plus a tiny bit of oil. Turns out catch cans are not "smog legal" in California anyway since they modify the PCV hose, which is not allowed. The smog tech said they mostly just catch water vapor anyway, which I also noticed. Oh well, was only $20. It's gone now.

After reading Gadget's site I decided to try out the deckplate mod. Funny thing is... my expert butt dyno can tell when the deckplate is in or out. I'll notice a little loss in throttle response and wonder what happened, and then realize I put the plate back in on a dusty road. It is simple enough, if you don't have the special saw bit then just line up the deckplate on the box facing outwards and use a sharpie to trace around the inner circle of the deckplate. Then cut slightly beyond the marker and it's a perfect sized hole. Here's the dyno proof from Gadget's website:

Quote:
1st gear 2nd 3rd
Run 9 Stock Box No Front 173.3 HP 205.5 HP 210.8 HP
Run 8 Stock Box No Elbow 170.7 HP 205.1 HP 210.8 HP
Run 7 Stock Box 168.8 HP 199.5 HP 201.8 HP
He got 9 HP at WOT for just putting a hole in the airbox. That's about as easy as free HP can get. Needless to say it was a no-brainer for us boosted folk. Another fun fact: modifying the stock airbox, even after the filter, is also not "smog legal" in California. I now have 2 boxes, one for passing smog and another for the other 729 days between smog tests.

+9 HP

Running Total
+9 HP

https://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=510-934

Next came the Airaid intake. Now, before you say 'why didn't you just remove the boxes yourself', that's also not "smog legal" in California (noticing a trend here?). So, rather than failing smog again due to the visual check, this part has a CARB EO# which means they will approve it every time. It also gave me a platform to add a methanol nozzle to, which will come later.

However I will note it does not fit on 96-98 air boxes very well, it had to be rotated slightly. Once I swapped in a 99-02 air box/MAF it fit perfectly. Just a side note for those out there.

Est. +4 HP

Running Total:
+13 HP

AEM F/IC 6, 11 PSI, 3" Intake and 3" Exhaust
Jerod's Supercharged T[u]RD Build

Last edited by gamefreakgc; 10-18-2017 at 12:07 AM.
gamefreakgc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote