View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

Scramble has a spectacular aura about Scramble has a spectacular aura about
Elite Member

Scramble has a spectacular aura about Scramble has a spectacular aura about
Talking Scramble's '99 Limited Dog Hauler:

Updated 5/30/19

I'm going to make this my build thread since it already has so much information, conversation & I'll never be able to recreate the excitement in a new thread.

I've been looking to get a second rig for a while now. I pretty much narrowed it down to an 05+ 8cyl 4th Gen Sport or an 05+ Sequoia. I don't need another off road rig, just something to haul our 3 dogs, get to work in the snow, keep the Metallica truck out of the winter salt, tow my boats & maybe even my 3RZ to the trails. But that aint happenin'! LOL

On Fri 12/29/17 around 9pm I decided to look at 3rd gens on Cars.com for fun & came across this 99 Limited. It was a one owner, dealer serviced with an e-locker. The original owner bought in CT, lived there for 3 years & then moved to TN. I e-mailed them right away & this guy Mark e-mailed me right back with the Car Fax at 9:30 pm on a Fri night. This was a used car lot so I thought that was pretty darn good! It turns Mark was the owners son and pretty much runs the used car portion of the business. I set up an appointment for the next day, Sat afternoon, because I work nights & don't get up early. What was supposed to be a 2hr drive turned into a 3.5 hr nightmare. There was a forecast for an inch of snow & we ended up getting 3" & the roads were a mess. Mark waited for me & actually let me take the test drive out in the storm. They also have a body shop & do restorations of classics during the winter & brought the truck inside the night before so I didn't have to get under it in the snow. He knew I was going to check the frame for rust from our e-mail conversations. He had pics of the undercarriage online so I knew he wasn't hiding anything. While on the test drive it dawned on me that he was letting me drive this in the snow & I asked him if he normally does this & he said no, first time! LOL He said he trusted me because I had e-mailed him pics of mine the night before & drove so far in the storm. I checked the inside of the frame rails, no rust! I also checked all of the 4WD modes, e-locker & all worked perfectly. I made an offer when we got back to his shop & he made a counter offer & I accepted. It was exactly what I wanted to pay. So no 8cyl for me right now. Just a pretty Millenium Silver Limited.

This thread was originally called "Wish me Luck" ! Below is how this thread started:

Going to look at a 1 owner, dealer serviced it's whole life 99 Limited w/ e-locker! This auto trans thing will be new to me...but multi mode!

IMG_2723 by Mike Campbell, on Flickr

'99 4Runner - 2.7L 3RZ, 5 Speed, 4.56 Gears - Lifted, Locked & Loaded - 166k Original owner - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html
'99 Limited - E-Locker- Stock (for now) - 233k 2nd Owner http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ted-build.html

Last edited by Scramble; 05-30-2019 at 05:48 PM. Reason: update
Scramble is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote