Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgaragetime View Post
We're built for auto enthusiasts that want to connect with their vehicles. If 50% off shop rates and getting your hands dirty isn't your thing, then paying for full service is certainly the better option. At the end of the day, we want to provide an option for those limited by space & tools, while promoting the responsible consumption of resources. We hope GarageTime can do that.
I already do all my own wrenching at my home in San Jose. I also make repair videos with my buddy Sean. Here's a link to our channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9E...y61kJ6hdXcbjxA

I do agree that learning about auto mechanics and taking the challenge is interesting and rewarding. It's one of the reasons I got into it. But, for many, their main motivator for doing their own work is out of necessity to save themselves the high labor rates shops charge. At $45/hour, you're still saving but then you have to ask how much your time is worth. I know most DIY mechanics like myself will take longer to do a repair, maintenance job or modification than a shop would take because many times it's our first time doing something and we're learning as we go. So now, the total savings will be even less compared to what a shop will charge.

I'm guessing other parts of the country have hourly shop rates much more affordable than we have in the California Bay Area.

Anyway, that's my pragmatic 2 cent opinion.