Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 09:53 PM

Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute

Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute Inv4drZm has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietraveller View Post
OK here goes then, I have a number of questions about buying a 4runner when I travel to the states next year, with a view to driving through Mexico and Central America - as a semi converted sleeper/camper.

1. There is alot I like about gen. 3 but according to my research, the gen. 4 is 6" longer, which would make alot of difference for me sleeping - for my height of 6'4".

2. It seems that out of all the 4th gen. that the 2006 model is the biggest - 2" wider, which would also make a difference when converting to a camper.

3. The only 2006 4WD version is the LTD, correct? I am not interested in the SR5 as the height is only 68" versus 71.5" in the other models. (Wikipedia)

4. I would prefer a 3 litre petrol engine for economy. I am not sure of the consumption (or power when loaded up a bit) on either the 3 or 4 litre either. Or if the 3 litre is hard to find.

5. There is a 4 and 5 speed automatic available, which is the best and easiest to find? Combined with what motor. The most economical/reliable? I am not going to be doing any radical 4wdriving or conversions!

6. I see alot of high mileage models listed at 190,000 miles. Is there an average life that these motors have? I notice that the lower mileages like 100,000 or 140,000 still go for a relatively high price, up to $18,000.

7. If I landed in LA, is Craigslist going to have the best selection from private sellers? Anywhere else worth trying between Santa Barbara and San Diego out as far as Phoenix?

Thanks for your attention!

You imperial units might be different, in our units, the 4th gen 4runners came with either a 4.0 liter V6 or 4.7 liter V8 and either motor should do fine for your needs. V6 would get a couple MPG better while the V8 will have more torque and both motors are easily found in the 4th gen, close to a 50/50 split probably.

The 4 and 5 speed are just are reliable, the 4 speed is found solely in the 2003 and 2004 V6 trucks.

I would easily recommend the 4th gen over the 3rd gen for extended trips based of the smoothness of the powertrain and interior room.
Inv4drZm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote