View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 04:51 PM

4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of

4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of 4RunnerAquasport has much to be proud of
4the Gen Shifter Maintenance- avoiding the wet noodle shifter

I did a little prevent job while waiting on my coilovers to be built. I guess people that have broken shifters have a hard time fixing them and are expensive to replace. @alia176 Thanks I stole your pic he he.
Pearl's mod/build LT rear/DK +3.5 LT/Custom Baja Bumper/Thorley Headers/Manual T-case-102_6546-jpg
Having been through a couple threads on the matter, I landed on this from 2010 and it had been bumped recently.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...y-shifter.html
I found through other peoples trial and error, that the housing that holds a pin and spring loaded system to keep tension on the underside of the shifter guide plate, usually breaks after years of abuse and especially when people force a stubborn shifter.
So I have a small step by step from the point at which you get the console removed, which is not difficult at all. Here is a link to some schematics of the fasteners. All you need is a couple of small flat blades and a pick maybe. Most of these Toyota panels pull right out and pop right back in.
https://www.top4runners.com/ja/2007/footwells.html

My first step is simple: Unscrew your shifter KNOB and remove the small plastic cover that has the gear selection on it. It has four release tabs usually can be done with your fingers.
Attachment 295278
Then remove the small white cover underneath that. Small flat blade may be needed. I think there are six release tabs and a small shift lock tab that will need to removed.
Pearl's mod/build LT rear/DK +3.5 LT/Custom Baja Bumper/Thorley Headers/Manual T-case-img_4227-jpg
Then your gonna use your small flat blade maybe 2, and work this retaining clip off the pin it sits on at the top rear corner of the shifter housing.
Attachment 295282
It looks like this
Pearl's mod/build LT rear/DK +3.5 LT/Custom Baja Bumper/Thorley Headers/Manual T-case-img_4212-jpg
Then you remove the pin
Pearl's mod/build LT rear/DK +3.5 LT/Custom Baja Bumper/Thorley Headers/Manual T-case-img_4210-jpg
Now when you lift up on the guide plate, there are two guide tabs at the front, so pull back and up being careful not to break the shifter lock release button, it's spring loaded and has a small tang that sits down on top of the release mechanism. Moving the shifter forward or backward as you lift may help. Next slide please.....
Pearl's mod/build LT rear/DK +3.5 LT/Custom Baja Bumper/Thorley Headers/Manual T-case-img_4218-jpg
Pearl's mod/build LT rear/DK +3.5 LT/Custom Baja Bumper/Thorley Headers/Manual T-case-img_4221-jpg

1988 DLX 22RE AUTO BLACK-"Granny" - SOLD
2003 SR5 SPORT V8- Build- "Pearl" You Tube 2UZ 120
2012 LIMITED V6 "LE Mae" 5TH GEN BUILD THREAD

Last edited by 4RunnerAquasport; 06-06-2018 at 07:05 AM.
4RunnerAquasport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote