View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 03:30 PM

bookgaragetime is on a distinguished road

bookgaragetime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
There's a reason shared garage or workshop businesses have never succeeded. The idea is great to have people share ownership or offer rental use of expensive tools that are infrequently used. But it always fails. The reason is that users lack any skin in the game. When they're not your tools - you don't treat them like they're your tools. People who do know how to use them already own them. I don't let most people I do know use my shop or my tools. I sure as hell wouldn't let someone use my tools who I don't know. Not to mention liability both for me and my shop and tools and for someone else.
One of the major problems with DIY garages succeeding is the outlay of resources for space and tools. Garages need to pull in x amount of customer/day to maintain the economics (which to your point has proven difficult). Rather than open another community garage, we believe the better option is to take advantage of the tools, resources, and buildings already in circulation, and creating micro-communities of enthusiasts. These spaces/tools are already paid for by the garage owner and will be used regardless or sharing their space. By listing their garage for use with neighbors, they're able to offset these costs and create relationships with other enthusiasts in their community.

In terms of liability, many of our garages require users to sign a liability waiver before stepping foot in the door, and also require a renters or homeowners policy in the event something goes awry.

We understand our service isn't for everybody, but we want to do our part to lower the barriers to entry for DIY enthusiasts.