Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 AM

Charles4x4 will become famous soon enough Charles4x4 will become famous soon enough

Charles4x4 will become famous soon enough Charles4x4 will become famous soon enough
Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread

Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread

Follow this build on Social Media at

Facebook: Steel City Racing - Home | Facebook
Instagram: SteelCityRacing (@steelcityracing4x4) • Instagram photos and videos

***ADDITION FROM AFTER KOH 2019***
I've had a ton of requests for a Full Build Sheet in the First Post, so here you go (warning, it's extensive):
• Vehicle: 2006 Toyota 4Runner V8 4WD Limited with 100K Miles and No Rust
• Engine: Toyota 4.7L V8
• Transmission: Toyota A750F with Toyota Transmission Cooler
• Tires: 35” Cooper Discovery STT Pros (315/70R17)
• Wheels: KMC XD222 Enduro 17” Beadlocks
• Front Suspension System: Marlin Crawler RCLT (Rock Crawler Long Travel) 3.5” Extended on each side (first set ever produced)
• Front Suspension Shocks: Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2.5” Coilovers with Remote Reservoir and CDCV (Compression Dampening Control Valve) and 2.5” Air Bumps
• Front Differential: Toyota 8” Differential with Marlin Crawler Upgrades
• Front Axle Shafts: RCV Performance Gen II Toyota Axle Shafts (first set ever produced)
• Front Gears & Locker: Nitro 4.56 Gears and ARB Air Locker from East Coast Gear Supply
• Steering: Marlin Crawler MarRack (second set ever produced besides BigMike’s own set) and 4x4Labs Custom Steering Cooler
• Transfer Case: Advance Adapters 3.8 Atlas II with Adapter Plate and RockSolidToys Speed Sensor Adapter
• Front and Rear Driveshafts: Drivelines Incorporated Custom Driveshafts
• Rear Suspension System: RockSolidToys Rear 4-Link
• Rear Suspension Shocks: Icon Vehicle Dynamics 3” Progressive Rate Coils with 2.5” Shocks with Remote Reservoir and CDCV (Compression Dampening Control Valve) and 2.5” Air Bumps
• Rear Axle: Dynatrac ProRock 60 with 4.56 Gears and ARB Air Locker
• Front Bumper: 4x4Labs 4th Gen 4Runner Front High Clearance Bumper made from AR400 Steel (first one ever produced)
• Front Winch: Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum with Factor 55 Prolink and 4x4Labs Hawse Fairlead
• Rear Bumper: 4x4Labs 4th Gen 4Runner Rear High Clearance Bumper made from AR400 Steel (first one ever produced)
• Rear Winch: Warn 9.0Rc with Factor 55 Prolink and 4x4Labs Hawse Fairlead
• Rock Sliders: 4x4Labs 4th Gen 4Runner Sliders made from AR400 Steel (first one ever produced)
• Skid Plate System: 4x4Labs 4th Gen 4Runner Skid Plate System (3 Parts) made from AR400 Steel (first one ever produced)
• Front Fenders: Fiberwerx 4th Gen Fiberglass 4.5” Bulge Fenders
• Air Intake and Thermostat: aFe Power Magnum Flow Pro System with Pre-Filter and URD 170 Degree Thermostat
• Headers: Doug Thorley 4th Gen 4Runner V8 Headers
• Exhaust: High Flow Catalytic Converters (2) and Flowmaster 50 Series Muffler with custom routing
• Engine Tuner: Underdog Racing Development (URD) Universal Tuner with AEM AFR and AEM Fuel Pressure Gauges
• Fuel Cell: Jaz Pro Sport 22 Gallon Tank with Alltech “No Foam” Baffles and Classic Instruments Fuel Sender
• Fuel System: Aermotive Apex Phantom System with Jet Siphon connected with Russell Stainless Steel Lines and Connectors
• Onboard Air Systems: PowerTank Race Ready 10lb Tank System with Triple Roll-Bar Mount and ARB HD Air Compressor for Locking Differentials
• Onboard Recovery Gear: BubbaRope 7/8”x30’ Power Stretch Recovery Rope, (4) Gator-Jay PRO Synthetic Shackles, and 3”x20’ Nylon Tow Strap
• Battery: Odyssey Extreme Series with Charger and Billet Aluminum Mount
• Seats, Harnesses, and Safety Nets: PRP Pro Series Ivan Steward Ironman Seats, PRP 5.3 SFI 16.1 Harnesses, and custom PRP Safety Nets
• Custom Roll Cage and Fabrication: 2” DOM Roll Cage and Tons of Custom Fabrication by Otwell Fabrication in Lucerne Valley, CA
• Navigation: LeadNav Pro Pack Software, iPad 10.5 Wifi+Cellular, LifeProof Nuud Case, 3.1Amp Onboard Charging System, and Dual xGPS160 Puck with RAM Mounts
• Vehicle Wrap: Syndicate Offroad Wrap Printing and Installation with Jeff Williams Custom “Old School TRD” Wrap Design
• Communications: Rugged Radios Desert Series 2-Place Race Intercom and 60-Watt Radio
• Onboard Jack: ProEagle “The Beast” Big Wheel Jack with Aluminum Mount
• Safety: Alpinestars Delta Fire Suits, Alpinestars Tech 1 Gloves, NeckGen Rev2 Head and Neck Restraint, Impact 1320 Side Air Wired Helmets
• Miscellaneous: Blue Sea 9002e Master Kill Switch, (3) Onboard Fire Extinguishers, Secondary Door Locks, Custom Brake Lines, 2” Fuel Filler System, Rear Race Light, Front View Rock Camera hooked to Pioneer Touch-Screen Head Unit, Front HID Headlights, GoPro with Roll Bar Mount, Race Ready Rear-View and Quick Disconnect Side-View Mirrors, (4) Roll-Bar Grab Handles, (3) Hunsaker 11 Gal QuickFill Jugs, HD Battery Terminals, Spare Alternator and Serpentine Belt, Etc.

***BACK TO THE STORY FROM EARLY 2018***
To start, let’s go back to this past February – specifically the Saturday after King of the Hammers 2018 ended. This is the day when most teams begin dreaming about their 2019 KOH builds on their way home from the lakebed.

The two days before, like many of you, my wife and I watched most the 2018 King of the Hammers EMC and 4400 Main Event coverage live. And, like many of you, I wished I was there.

So, 4-months ago, I decided to do something about it…

My first thought was...we'll...hold that thought for now.

My second thought was honestly of the millions of reasons why it wouldn't work out:
- I have a day job, an amazing wife, and two awesome girls who all keep me busy
- I have a budget, but certainly not enough savings for all I'm going to need
- At the time, I had no crew, no sponsors, and no race vehicle to start with

But, more importantly, my first thought was...I CAN DO THIS:
- I believe that God gave me the gifts of being a creator, builder, and engineer who loves to learn new things and can envision the possible
- I have never backed down from a challenge. I am determined, passionate, resourceful, and love to work hard - I always finish what I start.
- I have never taken the conventional route and it has always led me to amazing experiences - why start now?
- I love offroading and vehicle fabrication. I can see the lines at high speed and envision unconventional lines in the rocks. I love staring at a vehicle and imagining what it can become.
- I believe life is a collection of experiences. The most amazing ones typically require a difficult question at the beginning: “Should I actually try this crazy thing?” I have learned that the hardest part is always the same - Starting.

So, this is me Starting. What is my plan? Let's find out...

Last edited by Charles4x4; 02-22-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote