View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 10:55 PM

mtnbiker49 is on a distinguished road

mtnbiker49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schargedtaco View Post
I had a set of fat bobs garage wheel spacers very similar to the spider tracks on my 3rd gen 4Runner. They where professionally installed by fat bobs. About a week later I started hearing squeeking on bumps. On the freeway 75 mph the rear right tire came off passed me like I was standing still. I managed to pull over and had a very hard time braking. I watched as my tire bounced off the median and bounced into a parked highway patrol car in the center lane. He kindly put in on his hood and brought it back to me lol. I’ve heard of others loosing the front tire and rolling/dying. As cool as they look and although I see people that are getting away running them for years I’d never chance my or my families life again. If I where anyone on here running them I’d have my but puckered up all the time at high speeds/towing waiting for the ideal time to loose it. Running those your just increasing your chances one of the 10 studs/lugs will go essentially doubling your chance of a failure. Not worth it!! There company didn’t even refund me my money on the expensive spacers and did a horrible paint/repair job. Wouldn’t recommend them on anything!!!
Did you remove the wheels and retorque the lug nuts after 30-60 miles? Did Fat Bobs use Loctite on the studs coming off the hub? Did you pull over to see what the squeaking was?

When my hub cradled itself in my wheel as I was cruising down the road, I knew something had happened. Each and every lug was still intact with no damage. Prior to that, about 1.5 miles up the road, I had noticed a grinding/clanking noise on bumps and while turning. I was heading to the alignment shop after my lift was installed, so I thought it was something to do with that. I did not stop to check. Turns out the grinding was the lug nuts spinning off and the wheel moving off the lugs. Once pulled over, I immediately knew what had happened and the mistake I made. I did not check to make sure all the lug nuts were torqued down. I had skipped over that wheel completely, possibly thinking that my helper had done it.

That said, I have also run 2" spacers on an xterra and never had an issue. Is it possible for new spacers to have defects? No, not unless clearly visible (I received one that had been dropped in shipment and had a flattened edge). Is it possible for the lugs/studs to have defects? Yes, but extremely rare considering how many lugs are manufactured. Is it possible that there was a man-made error during install? Absolutely. Even that 30-60 mile retorque is part of the install. Failure to do that means that the spacers were not installed correctly.
mtnbiker49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote