Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 AM

tv4184 will become famous soon enough tv4184 will become famous soon enough

tv4184 will become famous soon enough tv4184 will become famous soon enough
11/18/11

Some parts that I had ordered on 10/24/11 prior to picking up the white FD (which was on 11/5/11). Turns out I didn't even need the fuel filter. Looked like someone already did some aftermarket setup for the filters.

First thing I did when I got her back was to start swapping in parts from the old FD. This was exactly the next day too (11/7/11).

Went out to Harbor Freight on 11/14/11 to get the smallest shop press they had to start the bushing / "pillowball" replacement project.

Here's the stock "pillowball" and delrin bushings.

Barstock I had to get to make most of the weird angles work.

Took a few tries after that between my friends and me to push out the first couple of bushings. Took a few trips to the store and iron yard to get the right socket sizes, harbor freight bushing clamps, and iron bars to make the right contraptions to push out the stock / delrin bushings. I think the bar stock I got had slightly rounded edges so sometimes the pressure we had on the bushing from the press would sometimes have the bars go flying. Good thing we practiced safety with goggles and shoes at the time.

This is the first time I encountered problems where I couldn't get a seized bolt out. The stock bushing just kept absorbing my hammering so I ended up using a hack saw to cut out the bolt. No access to power tools because I was living at an apartment with no nearby electrical outlets. Lived life on the edge working on a car in a parking garage. I used my 3rd gen as a makeshift storage shed for tools and random parts.

The Powerflex bushings came with some grease but I decided to use Green Grease at the time to grease the bushings. I think I'll probably regrease them with Mobil 1 when I start taking her apart again.

// 4G V8 // 3G 2.7 5MT // Model 3 // IS300 5MT // FD RX7 //

Last edited by tv4184; 10-03-2018 at 02:59 AM.
tv4184 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote