Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Kmvreter will become famous soon enough Kmvreter will become famous soon enough

Kmvreter will become famous soon enough Kmvreter will become famous soon enough
Front LH inner CV boot leaking

I was working on the brakes and noticed a greasy wet end on the small end (outboard end) of the inner CV joint boot. This boot end has slight movement on the metal half shaft where all the other boots are tight by comparison. The metal "clamp" is intact. The boot doesn't look damaged or torn. I'm not sure how much grease got out but there is an amount that has escaped and coated the framework behind this area.

I'll search the web about repairing this but I have some questions for now:
I want to avoid taking the axle shaft out of the truck. Is it OK to just undo the boot, reload it with grease and reinstall?
Is there a method to reload the grease without undoing the large end clamp?
These are a weird type of clamp. How do they work? Is there a different clamp I can use (like on the outer boot?) Why not a regular worm gear hose clamp?
Is this something I can tackle myself or do you need special tools to tighten this clamp?

I ran out of time so I don't have pics.
Any advice?

The overhaul page from the FSM is too big to post. Here's the component page:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 30-17 conponen.pdf (42.1 KB, 2833 views)

'04 SR5 V6 4x4 Galactic Grey Mica. Delivered 03/17/2004. Link to my mod list in posts 7, 8 & 9 of this thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=21354
``````````````````````` The battle begins at the end of your driveway... Game On! "Car!"

Last edited by Kmvreter; 04-14-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Kmvreter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote