Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 11:19 AM

DuckFan is on a distinguished road

DuckFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN613RPro View Post
Heed the advice of Off2mtns, it's real world advice. You generally are not as light as you think you are. Actual loaded weights are a must but far from convenient, if you live in or travel through Oregon on the secondary highways you can use the closed DOT scales for free, they never turn them off. These were my eye opening moments for me with my 7.3 excursion and a 30' travel trailer. What surprised me on my set-up was the drive axle weight on the ex, over max but under on the tongue weight limit. You start loading a suv with gear and people it will add up real fast. I re-sprung my ex to match an f250 then tossed my airbag set up. Using airbags for much more than getting your headlights pointed back to where they should be, is just a crutch for being too heavy.

Another consideration if you are running P tires or C's or D's check to make sure you are not exceeding the tire capacity for carrying extra load.

And don't forget the weight of fuel, from fill up to fill up I lose about 300 lbs in the ex, it holds 44 gallons all behind the rear axle. The 4r tank is between axles as you know which helps with these numbers.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to pull into one of those DOT scales the next time I hook up. I'm very curious as to what my actual weight is.
DuckFan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote