Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 04:08 AM

Rockdawg84 will become famous soon enough Rockdawg84 will become famous soon enough

Rockdawg84 will become famous soon enough Rockdawg84 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonkey View Post
I think OP is exactly right. Brakes should be tuned on their own. Not a great idea to have ABS manage you through normal driving conditions. Prop valve should not be considered an option.

I applaud the effort that goes into this conversion, but after doing custom rear discs in the past on other cars, I’m not going to do it if there is no meaningful performance increase for that amount of effort. Tundra brakes up front, sure. But really has anyone overheated and glazed their rears in these trucks? Maybe I’m wrong, maybe guys in the mountain highways, but I think the stock brakes are fine for me (and I usually want to tweak everything).
I don't disagree that ABS isn't intended to manage every day out of balance brake systems. I ran a year with no ABS in the rear and the only time I ever had the rear lock up was in pretty heavy rain, we don't get snow in Tucson. So balance is very important and the use of a proportioning valve is a great part of the process. I have said many times that the rear brakes of a 3rd gen work great when functioning properly but the rear disc do give an upgrade in stopping power but it is a lot of work and unless you really need the extra stopping power it is not worth it. I just really enjoy the discussion and was in no way trying to bash or disrespect @rideexileex .

Just another thought I have had is that 4 wheel ABS systems are designed to work at much higher stopping (clamping) power than older systems that simply relied on balance. So not having a functioning ABS system actually decreases the stopping ability of our 4Runners. I am happy to have figured out how to have ABS on my rear axle once again.
03 SR5 V8, 4x4, 2.5" Icon's with 35's -Sold The Wife's 03 Build Sold
Rockdawg84 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote