View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 AM

Terminator03 is a jewel in the rough Terminator03 is a jewel in the rough Terminator03 is a jewel in the rough Terminator03 is a jewel in the rough

Terminator03 is a jewel in the rough Terminator03 is a jewel in the rough Terminator03 is a jewel in the rough Terminator03 is a jewel in the rough
Excellent job documenting the mod! I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing for awhile now. I’ve been going back and forth as to whether to do the USB link there, or just a USB charging port, with full time power. What head unit did you buy? I just picked up a Sony XAV-AX1000 for my daughter’s Camry. Originally, I was considering a Pioneer that someone recommended in another thread, but was spooked by some of negative reviews on Amazon regarding the CarPlay functionality with later versions of the iPhone, plus Crutchfield no longer even carries that model. Since my daughter has a new Xr, AND CarPlay was one of the main features I was looking for since she’s a new driver, I found the Sony on Crutchfield and thought I’d evaluate it in her car before deciding if it would be a solid choice for my 4R. It got really good reviews, but the one negative for me, and it’s only a small one, is that it has no rear input to setup a cleaner link for CarPlay. I know you can get wireless CarPlay, but they start at around $500, so that certainly wasn’t an option for my daughter, and honestly even for me, I wouldn’t pay almost double the price just for wireless. Besides, keeping it plugged in will maintain the battery, instead of draining it as streaming would. One other feature I liked was that this Sony has an actual volume knob, which seems easier than taking your eyes off the road and fumbling for either touchscreen “buttons”, or even physical up/down buttons. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you chose, and how it works out, since I still haven’t bought anything for mine yet. It came with a nice Pioneer single DIN that has Bluetooth so I can stream music, hands free phone calls, etc., so for me the only reason I’d upgrade it, would be to have NAV on the screen, and a backup camera. Both of those would be “nice to have” features, but certainly not an absolute must have.