Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Sarge is on a distinguished road

Sarge is on a distinguished road
New to me '03 Limited V8, got questions

Ok, long time lurker from learning mods when I had my '08 Tacoma and lots of ideas here that have applied to other uses. I picked up a 2003 Limited V8 pretty cheap but the previous owner ignored a lot of things that should have been addressed - especially the left side outer tie rod end that was ready to fall off. I got the 4Runner for a replacement for my old '77 Land Cruiser FJ40 - I just couldn't handle riding in that old bucking, rusted out animal any longer due to health issues. Wanted something close to as tough and could last, so far it looks like the T4R will fit the bill. Plus, the GSD seems to like it so far...

Already changed that tie rod end out, as well as a new CV shaft on that driver's side. The steering pump can be a bit weak at times, not sure if it's the pressure control valve for the speed-sensitive steering or what. One thing - the oil that was in it was badly burned and full of sludge. Flushed all of that out and have fixed 2 spots where the return line was not fully onto the pipes when they had the timing belt done. Whoever has previously worked on this thing was a hack - had to replace a ton of broken clips so far around the entire engine bay, it's as if they just didn't care and ripped into it to save time but never bothered to buy $10 worth of new clips. Pretty lame, when I worked at several repair shops we'd never would have gotten away with such shoddy work but these folks that owned the truck didn't seem to know any better.

I still feel like the system is getting air into it - most likely from either the rusty lines or the return side clamps not holding the hoses tightly enough. Has anyone ever put a rebuild kit in one of these stock pumps??

Every single one of the splash guards up front is missing - just how important is it to have those in place? Some vehicles benefit from removing them, others it can cause issues like alternators, which is why I'm asking.

I've already replaced 3 of the exhaust gaskets in the main pipes. Still, have one good leak when the system is cold and I suspect the driver's side exhaust manifold. So, what is everyone's opinion on the best replacement option? I'd really rather not invest into a whole new system right now, just not sure about the track record on the aftermarket tubular manifolds or if they have a high failure rate. I keep my vehicles for a long time and put on a lot of miles - that's why I stuck with a Toyota after selling the old Land Cruiser.

Overall, the condition of this 4Runner is pretty good. Very little rust underneath especially considering it lived in northern Illinois almost all its life. One really odd rust spot is on the rear liftgate - it has a 6" hole rusted clean through the outer metal just to the right of the license plate - have others done that or is it just this odd one?

I sure appreciate any input - the information from the members on this site has been a huge help in getting to know this thing inside and out. I prefer to do all of my own work - after all, I've turned wrenches off/on for the last 40yrs now.

Sarge