Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 05:36 PM

Troika is on a distinguished road

Troika is on a distinguished road
Late to this thread, but Pentax!

My dSLR is a K5ii, which is a few models back and still a great camera. I'm sort of ready for a body upgrade, but I want to see what they release this year before I go. No temptation *ZERO* to switch brands.

I also (currently) have 4 Pentax Film SLRs. My go-to in an MX, but people tend to give me their dad's Pentax SLRs when they finally get around to dealing with them. I will rehome them at some point.

Pentax has decades of great glass, especially prime lenses and they've never changed their lens mount (unlike Canon), so I mount any K-Mount lens from any era to my modern dSLR or film cameras.

But, I'll go a step further. Pentax put image stabilization on the sensor, rather than the lens, so the 100-300/4 manual focus Tokina lens that I use for wildlife and baseball is image stabilized. I just input the focal length when i mount it and it adjust stabilization on the sensor, so I can hand hold it without unusably fast shutter speeds.

But, wait! It's also autofocus. If I leave the auto focus selector in place on the body and depress and hold the shutter release it wont fire until it is in focus. So, a $800 pro-quality manual focus lens from 1980 that I can pick up for say $50 is still great glass, but it's also effectively stabilized and autofocused.

The photos below were taken with a 55/1.8 lens using this method. Not the best image quality, but feel free to browse the rest of my Flickr uploads for landscape, architecture, street, and low light band photography samples.

The bodies and most of the modern lenses are also weather sealed, the optical viewfinders and awesome and to me, nothing else feels right ergonomically. Full-on Pentax fan boy here!

Last edited by Troika; 01-17-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Troika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote