View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 PM

smokey7722 is on a distinguished road

smokey7722 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by geurillawarfare View Post
I see all this discussion about ABS modules without a single diagnostic data point, ignore all of this.
Thanks for the feedback/direction. I have not ordered anything yet as I am trying to confirm the cause as much as possible before I spent this type of money.

Quote:
1) Disassemble brakes and check caliper pistons and any sliding components. Toyota caliper design is garbage and the pistons will sieze over, and over, and over, and over.

Thats on my plate this morning. I have replaced the drivers side caliper with a re-man'ed one years ago due to one of the pistons seizing but it never caused a soft brake petal like this.

Quote:
2) Any shimmy? Severe warpage of the rotor could force a piston back into its bore enough that first brake pedal press needs to take up that distance resulting in chronic low pedal.
No shimmy at all.

Quote:
3) Do you ever get TCS/ABS going off seemingly for no reason? Have you replaced any wheel bearing/hub assemblies? Intermittent signal from ABS reluctor ring could result in momentary false triggering of ABS or TCS. Could possibly be imperceptible depending on conditions though I would expect it to become obvious as the intermittent signal is usually due to reluctor ring contamination from imminent catastrophic wheel bearing failure. The front wheel bearings on this design will not make the classic failure noises and you may not realize the bearing is failing until it has reached the catastrophic point.
TCS/ABS hasn't gone off at all with this issue.

Quote:
4) Do not just go buy some ABS module and test it. Download the service manual, there are links to it, it's free. Find the pinpoint tests for low brake pedal and rule out from there. I haven't put an ABS module on a 4th generation 4runner yet. I more expect these problems with Highlander.
I don't have a tester to do this myself which is what the service manuals refer to using. I'm waiting on a programmer out here to call me back to see when he has some time.