Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 04:38 AM

Lewis&Clark is on a distinguished road

Lewis&Clark is on a distinguished road
Need help with wiring options for 3000W inverter

Hey everyone. Happy new year to y'all!

I'm finally getting around to adding several AC powering options to my 2008 Ltd. V8.

I plan to add a couple AC sockets to the passenger compartment, mostly for laptops. And I plan to add 4 sockets to the cargo/trunk in the back. I'm a photographer, and I plan to use 2 of them for full-time battery chargers, and the other 2 for gear while camping or other things needed occasionally.

I have not yet picked out an inverter, but I know I'll go with a 3000W (constant), pure sine vice modified, with built-in overload, over-heating, over-and-under voltage, and fault protection.

The broad plan here -- based on my research, not any real knowledge of electricity -- is to install the inverter along with three 200-amp fuse block/fuse kits (to allow one for a second battery and one for a battery isolator). (Yes, I'll have an electrician work closely with me on the install.) The extra battery would be a 100Ah VRLA AGM to help maintain voltage if I'm running heavier than usual loads, and to reduce the risk of overheating. The isolation relay would be to help prevent drainage of the main battery.

2 Questions:

1. Any thoughts on the best place to install the second battery? I don't see a lot of room even in the engine compartment. Where else have people put them?

2. I am not interested in having cords and things around the car running to wherever the inverter is installed. I want to install an AC socket directly into the door or cargo panels. What is the best way -- within electrical codes and without compromising anything in the truck -- to accomplish this?