Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of

Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of Bumbo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrv9 View Post
Well you can always use a CB on a temp install basis. Use a 12V plug and an antenna with a magnetic base. Then if you need to use the radio, just plug in and stick the antenna on the roof.
I’m no antenna expert, but from my experience antenna length is what makes CB difficult (or annoying) from a portable or even mag mount operation… I’m sure everyone has seen those off-road trucks that look like RC cars with gigantic length whips… due to the frequency, the antenna length needs to be long for any reasonable performance.

Just an example…

¼ wave CB (27 Mhz) antenna is about 102 inches long
¼ wave 2 meter (148 Mhz) ham antenna is about 19 inches long
¼ wave 70cm (433 Mhz) ham antenna is 6.5 inches long

From what I read and understand, the ideal 2meter HAM antenna for long range use, like in the open desert is a 5/8 wave because the radio waves propagate more towards the horizon, vs ¼ which has a steeper takeoff angle which might be better for something used in the city…

5/8 wave length 2meter ham antenna is 49 inches
5/8 wave CB antenna is 22+ feet long

I have two antenna setups in the truck… right is a ¼ wave 144/440, and the left is a ½ wave 144/440 ham antenna. One thing I learned in the radio game, it’s ALL about the antenna… you can have the best equipment in the world, but without a proper antenna setup, it all goes out the window. In my early days, I had a really hard time with CB because I didn’t understand the antenna part of the equation.

95% of the time all I use is a 1/4 wave antenna... performance is great, gets me into repeaters 50+ miles away, and no problem with car to car coms over miles and miles...

Last edited by Bumbo; 02-07-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Bumbo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote