Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 AM

kjbenner is on a distinguished road

kjbenner is on a distinguished road
What would you like to see in a 6th gen?

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but since there's a 6th gen forum now, I figured why not share what you'd like to see from the 6th gen. Here's my miscellaneous thoughts:

Engine: More HP and more torque than the current 4.0 with an updated transmission. I'm no expert in what Toyota has that they can put in there but as long as it's not the pretty-much-universally-reviled 3.5 V6/6AT from the Tacoma I'd be happy, maybe a 3.5V6/8AT. A V8 option would be cool but seems unlikely.

Transfer case: I'd like to see an option for an AWD type mode, like in the current Limiteds, but with a RWD option as well. A selector for 2Hi/4Hi/4lo plus a center locker would be great. I think this might be similar to the old multi-mode t-cases?

Body/Frame:
  • More aluminum! Less weight and less rust is always a win in my book. I think there's places they could swap in aluminum, like the hood and rear hatch, to save weight without sacrificing anything. More high-strength steel in the frame would be good for weight reduction too. Anything to get the MPGs up a bit.
  • Keep the roll-down rear window. I also really like the two-piece tailgate like on the Land Cruiser, but I don't think there'd be a way to do that and keep the window.
  • Steel bumpers. I don't like body-colored plastic bumper covers that tend to get scratched up. A steel bumper with a straight profile (like on the new Ford Ranger) would be more durable and would let people upgrade to a heavy duty bumper without having to chop body parts.

TRD Pro: It seems like they don't do enough to differentiate the TRD Pro from the Off-road trims. So maybe add:
  • Front locker
  • Front camera (or 360° camera?)
  • Pre-wired switches for accessories, ready for you to wire in relays for your lights/winches/whatnot without tearing your brand new dash apart

Miscellaneous
  • Power folding mirrors. It's not exactly a narrow vehicle, so whether you're parking on the street or in the garage this should help prevent smashed mirrors and give more space around the parked truck
  • Better tires. I know nobody will ever agree on a what the best tire is, but shipping these with highway tires on anything but the Limited is a terrible idea
  • LED lights. There's no reason that every lamp in or on this vehicle shouldn't be LED
  • Display that shows steer angle and vehicle pitch/roll.
  • More storage spaces. Under rear seats, in the rear wheel wells, etc.

What do you guys think?