Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 PM

ctoombs is on a distinguished road

ctoombs is on a distinguished road
Alignment issues! Truck cannot get non positive camber.

Hi all,

Long story made short, I have had an ongoing issue with my 1999 limited tr4. I first noticed what I thought was a wheel bearing going bad but turned out to be cupped tires causing the same sort of noise. Fastforward a few shops and few months, I've got basically a brand new front end. New coilovers, new lower control arms (oem), new lower ball joints, new rack and pinion with new inner and outer tie rod ends, new sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, new upper control arms with adjustable camber and caster, new CV axles, etc. The only thing I have not replaced at this point is the spindle and knuckle.

All of this started happening when I went from the 31.5 inch tires I had to 32 inch tires (load rating E to boot). I began noticing visibly positive camber when the truck seemed to be sitting on what was otherwise level ground. All of the above things were done in pursuit of fixing the camber issues after multiple shops were unable to get it to align correctly and drive right.

I finally got a good shop (though they do not have an alignment machine but use a reputable shop near by and they always double check their work), we have replaced all of those parts, but cannot set the camber anything close to 0 without throwing the toe off.

If the image does not show, here is a link to the alignment spec sheet Imgur: The magic of the Internet

This is my latest alignment spec sheet. The truck drives decently but tracks hard to the right with the difference in caster being over a degree between left and right.

The last thing left for us to try is new spindles (we think the knuckle could be bent) otherwise the only explanation the shop can think of is a bent frame.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any experience with something like this. Additionally, will the .15 toe I currently have destroy my tires even more?

Thanks!

Last edited by ctoombs; 02-15-2019 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Original post was a novel.
ctoombs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote