Old 02-21-2019, 03:09 PM

JoeToyota is on a distinguished road

JoeToyota is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_C View Post
Maybe he's just trying to get his post count up quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbo View Post
I have a friend who owns a Tacoma and wheels pretty aggressively… and he upgraded to some Tundra brakes and reported a noticeable increase in performance / holding power.

Anza Borrego on the Heart Attack hill he was “standing on his brakes” with the old setup and requires less effort now to do the same.

Even if I was to think about leverage, and the increased size of the rotor, you essentially have more leverage / holding power per wheel. From that physics standpoint, I can understand why someone would want larger brakes or why it would increase performance.
If he increased his rotor size then sure it would require less effort on his pedal to achieve the same torque. How much less effort? Not much - pad type will make much more of a difference.

Did he upgrade his brake lines? New fluid? Different set of pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formidable View Post
Again, it’s to slow the vehicle down from speed. Larger rotors, bigger calipers, bigger pads, more pistons, translates to improvement in braking performance period.

Of note, the rotors the OP linked have aluminum hats. They are larger and probably weigh less than stock.
OK I'll spell it out then.

PISTON COUNT does not improve stopping power - it simply distributes the same force more evenly.

BRAKE PAD SIZE also does not effect stopping power. The coefficient of friction law does not rely on the surface area of the materials involved; only with the type of materials involved. Increased pad size is to improve heat dissipation. Remember what I said about pad type - friction.

How much less stopping distance does a 20mm larger rotor gain from 80-0 mph stand-on-brakes stop? I don't want to do the math to be honest, but with perfect traction (not gonna happen) it would be about a half a foot on your coupe. Since you wont have perfect traction on street tires on the street, distance will come down to tires and vehicle safety systems. Not rotor size.

The rotor hats might weigh less, but the rotor itself and the calipers are heavier. That's the point. They better deal with heat that way. You increase un-sprung weight by adding heavier big brakes - which is a performance deficit. Every pound un-sprung is equal to about 10 pounds extra cabin weight that your suspension has to deal with over every bump.

Yes your improving braking "performance" if you get a larger set of brakes. But what is the point if the performance being gained is not even usable. What I am saying is you will exceed your tires capabilities before your brakes unless your constantly hammering on your brakes consistently in a short period of time. Anything in between is just your perception of pedal firmness and feel.

I know it's hard to believe that the big brake kits used on racing vehicles won’t increase stopping power on their own street vehicles as well. Sorry.

Yeah yeah call me a drag, sure. I'm trying to help people understand the functionality of their OEM brake performance and hopefully help save people from spending A LOT of money where it's absolutely not necessary from a "performance" stand-point in a place where people come together for technical discussion, not a party.

Last edited by JoeToyota; 02-21-2019 at 03:41 PM.
JoeToyota is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote