View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 03:36 PM

rorikk is on a distinguished road

rorikk is on a distinguished road
UPDATE: Might have been solved by IAC cleaning!

UPDATE: After testing my way home last night and way back into work this morning trying to recreate the warm starts after half hour of driving, I haven’t seemed to have an issue whether 5, 10, or 15 minutes after shutting off.

Soooo...looks like it was the IAC valve gummed up. Even though it looked pretty darn clean, cleaning it and the TB a tad more seems to have done it. Not celebrating yet, but I think it may be solved! (Bummer it took me that long to get to it. Kept thinking it couldn’t be since it’s newer and I’d already cleaned the TB). Glad I asked for all the help when I had just cleaned the IAC and that may have solved it...

If it’s not solved, I still have the fuel filter on hand to replace in the next few days regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntleredRuin View Post
When warm (like after driving for a bit) and then shut off for 10-20 minutes, this check valve slowly fails and completely closes (not just one-way like a check valve should), which lowers fuel pressure. This makes it hard to start, and keeps the idle real low and sketchy for a minute or so, until the valve opens again (due to actual fuel flow, I'm guessing).

Let it cool down for 45 minutes and the check valve fully releases and you get easy starts again.

FYI keep a can of starter fluid on you. If it stalls and dies after a quick errand, you might not be able to restart it without waiting the 45 minutes. Ask me how I know.
The check valve sounds like exactly what it might be if the IAC cleaning proves to not have been the solution. Fuel filter will be my first go to as that’s a simple swap i'm planning on anyways.

And yep, I know how you know! I got stranded like that trying to pump the gas pedal several times before starting and still having no avail, leading me to replace the TPS as I thought was the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huski View Post
I have a jumping off point now. I'll report back with findings.
Thanks!
I hope it helps! I was finding threads similar to this all suggesting different things but they all had different solutions haha so I was a bit confused as to what to tackle next. Hopefully this helps you out!

You all have given some great suggestions on other things to check as well! I’ve mostly just read threads for info as it seems all things from 3rd gens have been discussed and researched extensively, but it’s so useful to have quick responses for questions that are still a little fuzzy! Thank you all!