Site Navigation

Thread: 1998 Oil Leaks
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Outrider will become famous soon enough

Outrider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngfish View Post
Yes, thanks. I've ordered the gasket kit and the Toyota brand gasket fluid for the half moons. I've read through a few of the write-ups, not clear on if I have to drain coolant or not. I'm assuming that there's coolant flowing through the manifold, but with the engine off, I'm not sure how much there will be in there...
It isn't required to drain coolant before changing VCG's. When you remove a piece of plumbing (not sure of the name) from the intake, you will get a few thimble-fulls of coolant running out, but that can be caught in advance, or cleaned up with a rag (or blown off with an air compressor). Really nothing to worry about.

My first thought was to drain maybe a quart of coolant to prevent that, but I doubt that would draw the coolant out of that upper plumbing.