Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 06:11 PM

MrSeth is a jewel in the rough MrSeth is a jewel in the rough MrSeth is a jewel in the rough MrSeth is a jewel in the rough

MrSeth is a jewel in the rough MrSeth is a jewel in the rough MrSeth is a jewel in the rough MrSeth is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Roof Rack Reasoning + Post Your Pics

OK folks!

In the past, I've fabricated, ran, and sold 2 different roof racks. Back then, my materials cost was around $150 MAX for solid metal, welded, and tailored greatness. Now that I don't have access to fab tools or metals, I am looking to purchase a pre-built roof rack, but before I drop ludicrous amounts of money on a rack... what are some concrete reasons why you have them on your 4R?

Some of my ideas:
1. Hi-Lift Jack mounting position. Great, but I can also mount it by my spare.
2. MaxxTraxx mounting spot. I would actually mount them up there, there would be no room by my spare, and I am somewhat against mounting them ON my spare tire.
3. Jerry Can/RotoPax mounting position. If I get a Jerry Can, I will mount it by my spare, opposite the Hi Lift. If I get rotopax, I would mount them on the rack.
4. Gear bags/Recovery kit- I currently stow it under my sleeping platform, if I can find a lockable storage option, I would throw it up on a rack.
5. Solar panel, primary and secondary battery charging
6. LITE BARZ- on my other racks, I had cubes at all 4 corners, made for great camping lights
7. Camping gear- with a mattress and clothes on my sleeping platform, it would be nice to keep gear, food, and drinks up on the rack... but I can only camp a few weeks out of the year now being a student and full time employee.

What all do you guys keep up there? My main thing is that if I get a roof rack, I don't want it just for looks- I want to utilize it.

All input and opinions are welcomed. I'd also love to see pics of what you run!!!

-Seth