Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 11:21 PM

dannyg is on a distinguished road

dannyg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerMexico View Post
Turn the key to on the on position, don't start the truck, have someone pump the brakes.
Open the hood and listen for the electric motor on the bottom of the brake booster. It's under the brake fluid reservoir, the black cylindrical thing.

If the motor is not running, that's your problem. Remove the motor. Get it rebuilt for like 200 bucks at any place that rebuilds electrical motors.

If the motor is running constantly, its the accumulator that is bad. Buy a new one on eBay for around $250...

Had a local mechanic replace both of these parts, charged me 2 hours worth of labor...

Really the motor and accumulator are the only 2 parts of the brake booster that go bad, please don't spend the 3 grand the dealer chargers to replace the whole assembly

Edit: Adding some part numbers that might be helpful.
The accumulator is Toyota Part No.: 47950-30010. If this is bad you also need a new O-Ring gasket for it which is Toyota Part No.: 90301-13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JURONIN View Post
Hi Danny, i was having the same issues, same model year and approximate mileage. What happened is that the motor controlling your hydraulic brake pump is wearing out. (much like how an rc motor will die out over time) I was able to purchase a refurb part and replace this piece without detaching my brake lines. it took about 20 minutes and saved me a big chunk of cash.. let me know if you have other questions

2003 2004 2005 TOYOTA 4RUNNER LEXUS GX470 ABS Brake booster Pump motor (REMAN) | eBay
Hey JURONIN, thanks very much for the info! Any chance you have a write up that replace?
Also, going back to 4RunnerMexico's post, was that how you determined that the motor, not the accumulator, was bad?
Would it be prudent to replace both, or unnecessary?
It sounds like I could replace the motor myself but the accumulator would likely need to be done by a mechanic, yes, no?

Tomorrow a.m., I pick up (likely getting a tow for safety reasons) my 4r from Toyota service center (they still think I may trade in for a new car).
At this point, I just need to decide if I bring it to the mechanic ($340 quote for the install) or home... as I don't want to rack up unnecessary towing fees $$.