Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 11:49 AM

jordanrb81 will become famous soon enough

jordanrb81 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
Like said - insurance is for the lender, not the owner. Lenders don't like defaults. As a result comprehensive insurance in most states will cover everything short of intentional damage. There is no language whatsoever in my policy restricting use to any type of road, surface, or timed events. The actuarial cost of covering off road is probably very small. Much smaller than the risk of hitting a pedestrian. I don't think its either a surprise or uncommon for insurance to cover off road use. Probably less so in the east where there isn't very much access or opportunity to go off road, more so in the west where half or more of the states's roads are dirt and RS2477 highways are abundant. Even the Rubicon is a county road. Ranchers still want to buy trucks, and lenders won't lend if they aren't covered.

I'm going to try not to test it out - but I have little doubt that it would pay out if i rolled in Moab. If nothing else, because I know I can cost the insurance company more than my 4Runner is worth in litigation expenses - and they know it too.

As far as personal responsibility - every at fault accident is the driver's personal responsibility. Whether that's on a road or off. It doesn't matter. Ethics has no place in the insurance conversation unless you're defrauding the insurance company or putting other people at risk by not being properly insured. Otherwise the whole point of insurance is to pay the insurance company to take the risk of you doing something wrong. Car crashes don't happen by accident. They happen as the result of negligence in nearly 100% of cases. Insurance is there to cover exactly that. If you roll off road that's no more or less a personal responsibility choice than if you blow through a red light and kill a pedestrian in the cross walk.
Well, I can tell you with certainty that you're incorrect. I am terribly sorry if that displeases you. However if you don't carry an insurance license and are not a JD, then you have no reason to know what you're talking about. which is why people seek out my advice and the advice of others like me. insurance is required by lenders, but as with all large scale things there are little holes in coverage because the percentage of the folks doing that is so low it's not worth underwriting. That does not mean they go ahead and cover it anyway.

As I have said I am not guessing at this, your first post was "I don't actually know the answer but this is what I think." I carry a P&C License, which requires ongoing CE I also have an INS 21 and INS 22 designation... I speak to groups of high schoolers and their parents while standing beside local law enforcement specifically about different driving risks and hazards at the invitation of the local schools. If you choose to disregard my comments, it will have zero impact on my life, but is at your peril. So, do whatever you like.
jordanrb81 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote