Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 01:50 AM

SHagood is just really nice SHagood is just really nice SHagood is just really nice SHagood is just really nice

SHagood is just really nice SHagood is just really nice SHagood is just really nice SHagood is just really nice
2008 Urban Runner- BUILD

Finally getting around to posting my build thread for anyone out there interested. If there is any one, or multiple modifications that someone sees and is interested in, comment and I'll try to elaborate as much as possible and post more pictures. States the 4Runner has driven in include FL, GA, SC, NC, TN. So, here we go..

Background:
Purchased this car in July of 2017 with 116k miles in FL. The car was bone stock, and the XREAS that Urban Runner's come equipped with was already disconnected. In the +2 years that I've owned this car, I've been constantly upgrading and making changes that are practical for me, though somebody out west may not see the importance or need for some of the modifications.

Suspension
The first "lift" I installed was the 3" Toytec spacer kit and 285/70-r18 Toyo AT II's. I put 35k miles on that spacer kit, and had no issues with ride quality. Having said that, I do not recommend for someone who is actively going on trails/wheeling. The spacer kit is however, reasonably priced and easy for anyone looking to add height to their ride in order to clear larger tires. Once I started going on trails a bit more, I realized the need for a more capable suspension. I currently run 285/70-r17 Falken MT's on 17" TRD Pro wheels, with Toytec Boss Shocks and Dobinson springs in the rear, Dobinson weighted coilovers upfront. I also put in a 1" Toytec Diff Drop with Toytec Aluminum Bump Stops. Let me say this, the aluminum bump stop blocks by Toytec are so helpful in keeping the tire from caking up inside the wheel well and preventing trail travel. Also, 1.25" Spidertraxx Wheel Spacers (to keep my wheel from rubbing on my UCA). Although it's not suspension on its own, i did buy the rub rad design mud flaps to keep dirt and mud out from underneath. They're cheap, and practical. In the rear, I also have Dobinson sway bar links and I removed my stock spare. There's a forum guy on here who makes front/rear sway bar links and after stumbling across his product, I bought a set of the front.
Front Current Specs
Dobinsons HR springs 4th gen C59-314
DobinsonsHD Ext Travel shocks GS59-574
Aftermarket sway bar links
Icon Uniball UCA
SuperPro Offset LCAs
Napa HD CVs
Metaltech BMC
Toytec Diff Drop
Rear Current Specs
Dobinsons C59-701V variable rate raised height (75mm lift) 150-250kg constant load
Toytec Boss shocks
Dobinson rear sway bar links
Toytec Aluminum Bump Stops

Exterior
TaterFab weld-on sliders, which happen to be one of my favorite modifications to this vehicle. Tom and I made a Satoshi grill, which was a royal pain in my opinion. Had a ROLA rack for 1.5yrs and just recently upgrade to @LFDOR cross members. I have a Gobi ladder that honestly, isn't very practical for me. I wear a size 12 shoe and don't have a full-size rack strapped down with tons of gear. Whenever I need to get my hi-lift jack or anything off my rack, I use my sliders. The rear has a Wilco Tire Carrier, which I could not pass up on the deal. IMO, for how much these things cost new I would rather save and buy a high-clearance bumper instead. However, I got this thing for 50% off and it was in excellent condition, so I couldn't say no. My buddy at TaterFab made me a custom table that bolds to the jerry can holder, which I love. One thing I hate about the Wilco: you can definitely feel it swinging around and bumping from time to time. Also have the Apex Recovery Points up front, haven't used them yet but man are the beefy. 06-09 front hybrid bumper from LFD equipped with a SmittyBilt Gen3 9.5k Comp Series Winch.
Current Exterior
LFD Hybrid Bumper (06-09) w/SmittyBilt Gen3 9.5k Comp Series Winch
LFD front skid
LFD Crossmembers (x4) on OEM side rails
TaterFab Weld-On Sliders
Gobi ladder w/spoiler
Wilco spare tire carrier
Apex Overland Recovery Points
JMT Satoshi Grille
Bumper cut
9ft Anaconda awning

Other
For starters, I upgraded the sh%tty radio/head unit that came with the car. I replaced my audio system with a Sony Head Unit w/Apple Carplay. Night and day difference. I installed my CB radio. I went with a cheap Uniden radio and the 4ft firestik antenna, all on Amazon. The only extra lights that I have are a set of Rigid Industries pods mounted on CBI brackets, which I love, and a 21" Mictuning LED bar I bought off Amazon, it's bright but it kinda sucks as far as quality. There's also a set of 4Runner WeatherTec floor mats, which I highly recommend. Inside I've got an Orangeboxx Fab rear window panel, which I have a bunch of random crap mounted on to keep organized. I also have a molle visor panel and a molle backseat organizer which were cheap off Amazon but get the job done. One thing I use literally more than anything on the car, is the trash bag/dump bag that Blue Ridge Overland makes. The best $35 I've ever spent. The rear driver side window has an Orangeboxx Fab molle panel, which I have a bunch of random camping stuff mounted to. The center console also has the Victory 4x4 molle panels, which I love. I have cat tourniquet, extra P365 mag, knife, multi tool, CB and HAM radio mounted to, and it's great for a firearm when you're driving.

Pictures

Day 1 down the rabbit hole:

Last edited by SHagood; 08-09-2020 at 09:22 AM.
SHagood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote