Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 AM

ChrisJHarney will become famous soon enough

ChrisJHarney will become famous soon enough
What clothes do you bring on your trip? I'm definitely not into snow, and I don't stand in really cold water all day, but I do camp in the high desert in winter where the temps drop to anywhere from 18-35 depending on where I go. At minimum you should have a good quality thermal base layer under your sleeping clothes. Good thick wool or synthetic wool socks are an absolute must. I use my Redwing leather work boots which aren't ideal, but the Smart Wool socks I use make up for the lack of insulation. I have a ton of beanies/skull caps, but I have a Carhartt beanie that absolutely keeps any and all cold out, and I sleep with it on. I'm assuming you have decent warm clothes?

Another must is a 0 degree rated sleeping bag. Make sure you get a good one. Sleeping bags can get pricy, but so worth it and they last forever if you take care of them. A reflective/insulated sleeping pad will also keep the cold off your backside during the night.

While I don't recommend using a buddy heater in an enclosed space while sleeping, I use a Mr. Heater dual head tank top unit on a 5 gallon propane tank in camp, for those cold trips and I need to get my hands and feet up to a decent temp before layering up. Each head pumps out 20,000 BTUs at full blast, so it's more than enough, usually I only need one going after I warm up. I also use it at home when I'm burning the midnight oil out in the shop to keep warm. I also have a splitter on the tank so I can cook my food while I keep warm. I just picked up a Camp Chef Everest propane stove that I absolutely love! Built a camp kitchen last month, which has really transformed my camping experience, keeping all my stuff organized and easily accessible. All this fits in a shade structure that has the ability to let me fully enclose the structure to keep wind at bay and heat in (mostly).

I'm assuming you have a camper shell? If not, maybe think about a tent to keep the wind off your sleeping gear? Tents are far from sealed, but at least they offer a layer of wind chill protection. If you camp in windy areas, don't bother with the Walmart Coleman units, they will be destroyed. Ask how I know, lol. I currently have an REI Base Camp 4 tent, which has a fantastic wind/rainfly.

Buy a good quality thermos or coffee mug, and fill it up with hot tea or something to keep the warmth going while you're fishing. I have a 20oz Hydro Flask insulated mug that will keep tea hot for at least 6 hours.

And get a good brisk hike in before you go out in the water, get your blood flowing and help your body do what it was designed to do, which is generate heat!

Pics attached are of my basic camp setup, including shade structure (I have 4 zip up and clip on sides to fully enclose it), tent, and kitchen box (unfinished). Unfortunately I didn’t have the presence of mind to take pictures of it on it’s maiden voyage, but it was a complete game changer for us, and relatively easy and cheap to build. I’ve since added several shelves, and a non-slip rubber covering for the top.
Attached Images
Cold weather camping option, Camper, Teardrop, other?-17af03f3-0786-436a-a317-a3f03b937bee-jpg  Cold weather camping option, Camper, Teardrop, other?-c5af9fdf-7cc9-4a4e-b5b0-3f5a3a7862cd-jpg  Cold weather camping option, Camper, Teardrop, other?-d19ff5bf-a36b-46f4-8252-946c47a11742-jpg 
ChrisJHarney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote