View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 12:25 AM

MountainFunRunner is on a distinguished road

MountainFunRunner is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribb View Post
Turns out you can get a lot of horses out of these engines without forced air. Based on where I am in the process now, it looks like I'll be able to get between 350 and 400 naturally aspirated, which is better than I expected. Here's the quick update.

First off, it turned out I blew the block. There was no external damage, but the rod punched a hole in the oil gallery, so I got a donor block from a Sequoia. Forged rods were pretty easy to come by. Forged pistons had to be custom made, but not difficult. I decided not to increase the compression in case at some point in the future I want to add boost.

Luckily the heads were good, so those are getting surfaced and ported. The biggest challenge at the moment is finding proven cams, particularly since it's VVTi. I haven't gotten any response from Crower, which is disappointing. One of the moderators at Lextreme pointed me to Kelford Cams in New Zealand, and it turns out they're about to put a whole bunch of new UZ cams on the market in a few weeks, barring any delays. They were really responsive by email, and gave me a list of cams ranging from OEM to 750hp racing motor cams. I'm looking at a road cam and high performance springs that, with ECU, they're projecting will get me to 360hp.

I'm now also starting the search for the right ECU. I'm talking with one of the pros on Lextreme, who's recommending a dedicated ECU, not a piggyback, in order to properly control timing and fuel. But I don't need to just find a unit, I need a tuner, and so far, even the Bay Area, finding a tuner that does 2UZs is turning out to be a real challenge.

BTW. I'm planning to smog this truck in California. (No, really.) It's possible, though not fun or legal, to swap out headers. But I can't really swap out cams, so getting the right tune for the cams is going to be a challenge.

So, the block should be in assembly next week. Then I'll be stalled until the cams come in, unless Crower decides to return a call and has a comparable set of cams I can get before Kelford ships in (cough) 5-6 weeks. That gives me time to finish cleaning parts, and, while I have the motor out, replacing LCA bushings, getting the transmission fully serviced, and getting everything else together.

For exhaust, I'm planning on going with the URD MK3. It's more expensive than the Gibson, but I'm putting this much work into the engine, it seems like a good investment. (I also feel like the pitch of the Gibson is too sharp for a V8, but that's just personal preference.)

What I'm learning about the 2UZ VVTi is that there is a ton of potential in these engines, even without forced induction. I think there's so much talk about superchargers, because it's relatively easy to slap on a system and get 100 ponies without tearing down the motor. These engines have had such phenomenal reliability, that not a ton of people have had much reason to tear them down and rebuild them. When they did blow, you could get a junk yard motor with reasonable miles for pretty cheap compared to a rebuild, so again, not many people have done it. But now that junked V8s have higher miles, I'm guessing more people will start rebuilding, and that should improve the market for proven pistons, cams, ecus, etc.

It seems like Toyota was really conservative in how they set these up, maybe in part to protect those powdered metal rods. Put in forged internals and a good set of cams, along with ecu, intake and exhaust, and you can get a lot of power out of these motors before you add any boost.

BTW: I may be wrong (I'm not a pro mechanic, so take anything I say with a grain of salt) but in my research, there are cheaper supercharging options that will work with the 2uz. Check out the Eaton m90, which has been used a lot on 1uz motors (Lexus SC400).

Interesting is there a reason you went with the sequoia over the 2010 lexus gx460? I think they have the 4.6 or so but its rated at 301hp and I think it'd be about as reliable. Where would you start with a normal 4.7 v8? I'll look at the urd exhaust, I agree the Gibson is a bit tinee. Is that 350/400hp rebuilding the engine or adding bolt ons. I plan on adding armor via front and rear bumpers and some offroad items on the roof rack and want to add performance accordingly. I have a fair amount of mechanical skill but taking apart a functioning engine scares me. Sounds like your pretty good mechanically to me
MountainFunRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote