Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 AM

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough
Help Me Decide: SR5 Premium or TRD Offroad Premium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_T4R View Post
OP, I faced a similar decision last summer when purchasing my '17.

I ended up ordering a 4x4 SR5P with 2 rows(Can't find 2 row black interior in TX, which is why i ordered).

The locker was the only thing holding me up, but then I recalled my 8 years with my FJ(full-time 4x4, Manual, locker). Do you know how many times I used it? Twice. How many of those times did I need it? ZERO. I would drive the FJ through every muddy field, up every rutted dirt road, and over any rocky obstacle I could find (and sometimes backwards just for fun).

The truth about 4x4 systems in Toyota's: They are awesome.

For Crawl control, my dad's Land Cruiser has it, and he has never needed the thing. As for the locker, if you need it down the line just go aftermarket.

This is probably some of the best advice you can get on this topic. Real world experience replaces all speculation.

I love my SR5P and while it would be nice to have the other gadgets, my SR5P has taken me everywhere I’ve wanted to go and if I ever got myself into a bad situation, Atrac got me out with zero drama. Plus a lack of crawl control and all those things forces you to learn the fundamentals of wheeling in different conditions. This was infinitely useful when we rented a Jeep in Kauai and drove on the sand. If I never learned I would have been stuck like everyone else.

I was off the grid one day in the snow with my Runner.I heard cracking under me and before I realized it, I was falling through ice into a decent sized pond I didn’t know was there. I had to muscle through massive chunks of ice and mud. I couldn’t get out and thought I was done...until I engaged Atrac. With a little effort, I crawled right out and was forever sold on the capabilities of this truck in this form.

If I was buying another Runner today, I honestly can’t say I’d sport the extra money. If money wasn’t an issue, sure, but knowing what the truck is capable of now, I’d save the money and use it towards the thing that matters most...good tires. A lift, too, but tires are the single best mod you can do to really let the Runner stretch it’s legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 4Runner SR5

Last edited by Decipher; 03-24-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Decipher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote