View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 01:13 AM

scribb will become famous soon enough

scribb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSRP. View Post
If and when you find the tuner and standalone, after that much effort, you might as well tinker around with meth injection for more power/safety margin.

Hope you don't put all this effort into research and just land back at a stock rebuild!
I'm starting to look into meth injection now that I've got most of the build issues sorted out. Got word today that the cams and springs are going to ship on time. Got my tuner connected with my builder, and they're stoked to see this project come together. Got a plan for parallel wiring a standalone ECU. So, now I'm starting to figure out all the peripherals, and methanol is top of the list--particularly as I decided to go forward with 10.1:1 compression.

For anyone not familiar with meth injection, I'll give you my rudimentary understanding of it. Methanol is mixed with water and injected into the air intake. The mixture cools the air and lowers air intake temperature, which lowers the risk of detonation during combustion, particularly when you advance timing. Since I'm adding street cams, increasing compression and advancing timing with an ECU, the chances of detonation are increased. Methanol will both increase the safety of pushing performance, and have the added benefit of allowing me to use normal gas, since the methanol also increases the octane in the air fuel mixture. Oh, and it can get me anywhere from 15 to 40 added hp, depending on how the motor is tuned.

My original goal was to build a reliable motor and get around 350hp naturally aspirated. It's looking like 400hp is definitely in range, more if I really want to push the envelope, which I'm probably not. Wherever the capacity of the motor winds up after we get it fully built, I'll dial it back to a max of 80%, and dial it back further for daily use. We'll see where that lands.

One of the items further down my list to research is either an android or PC ECU interface I can display on the stereo screen, to show gauges and change ecu settings. I've seen a few things in that realm, just need to zero in on a solution that will work.
scribb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote