View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 03:14 PM

rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold

rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold rickashay is a splendid one to behold
**The Duster 2.0 - 00' 4Runner SR5**

**CURRENT TRUCK PHOTO** SEPT 2020

_08I4745.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_2491.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

RE-INTRODUCTION:

I'm not really going to state any real justification for why this has come about, and some would say my sense of vehicle necessity is a bit skewed but I will say that I am really stoked to be back in a 3rd Gen. If you'd like to know why I just sold my 4th Gen, I can rant on in some future post. Sure the 3rd Gen's have their downfalls but I do love the sense that your driving an "old Toyota" with the build quality of the mid-90's and early 00's that has ultimately created the brand following that Toyota has today. The 3rd gen is the right mix of reliability, comfort, and an analog driving experience with a growing hint of nostalgia.

A few reference links if you'd like to see all the truck's I've built up to this point:

The Dirt Duster

Tom Cruiser

The Legend of Doug

RickRunner

Another reason (honestly) for being back in the 3rd Gen is the awesome community of owners here on T4R. The forums are dying but this still remains one of the most active sections on any forum I've ever found. There is an unreal community here with tech knowledge and even an exceptionally skilled group of innovators that are making some of the coolest and most innovative parts available for these "old" rigs. I hope I will have the chance to meet some of you fine folks on the trails in the coming years/months.

VEHICLE BACKSTORY:

Anyways, back to the Duster 2.0 a 2000 4Runner 4x4 SR5 5 speed.

I picked this fine specimen over Christmas. TBH, I wasn't really looking for one but I am always looking for nice Toyotas. I headed back to Lethbridge for Christmas to visit my wifes family and saw this on the local classifieds. It was higher mileage than I'd prefer with 275,000 kms (170k miles) on the clock but it was basically a 1-owner vehicle. The previous owner bought it as a lease trade-in after only a year or so and he had been driving it for the last 16-17 years. Most of the mileage on it was easy highway sailing as he has a fairly long highway commute between a couple towns in the prairies. What really sold me was how OCD he was (moreso than me! lol) and it clearly showed in the condition of this thing. I always tell people to "buy the seller" when buying used vehicles as it's almost always a direct representation of the vehicle. This was no exception. I also have every single receipt for every single oil change and maintenance item since new. So that is a plus.

BUILD OBJECTIVE:

This truck will be driven occasionally so I am going for something a bit more purpose-built on this one. I still want it to be comfortable and drive well on the highway but I feel over the duration of the build it may head to be more capable than my previous 4Runner(s). I also will be making choices that keep the vehicle more maintenance free and reliable. I just want to enjoy this truck, (once built) and hopefully have more trips on the radar than hours wrenching in the garage. It will be no where near what some of the T4R legends around here are building these days but should still be pretty cool! I plan to use this thread to not only post photos and document the build but also to collect information to show the process of decision making. I'm planning on getting the build started and parts ordered in the next week. Luckily for me, I've got the 85' Toyota to drive while the 4Runner goes under the knife ;)

_08I7045.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

CURRENT PARTS:

- 5x Nitto Ridge Grappler's 315/70R17
- SCS 17" Ray10 wheels with OMF true beadlock conversion
- Odyssey Group 31M battery
- ComeUP Seal Gen2 9.5RS winch

**STOCKER PICS TO COME**

Last edited by rickashay; 12-04-2020 at 02:44 PM.
rickashay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote